Able to download from one PC but not another

sanchezplc96

We have two computers and a plc that we use for training purposes to teach new techs the basics of going online with a plc and simple troubleshooting techniques. For some reason a couple classes ago we started getting an error from one of the pc's when we would try and download a program to our teaching plc. The exact same .ACD file can be downloaded to the plc with no issues from pc-1 but from pc-2 it gives the error attached below. I tried uninstalling all Rockwell related software from pc-2 and reinstalling but this didn't solve anything. Once I download using pc-1, pc-2 is able to go online with the plc and make edits no problem; it is just the downloading of the .ACD file it cannot seem to do.

Processor: 1756-L55 ControlLogix5555
Firmware Version: 16.21
pc-1 OS: Windows 7
pc-2 OS: Windows 10

I'll be happy to include any extra details if needed but my team and I are just at a loss. Just short of formatting pc-2 we have no idea what could be causing this.

WllH9Mo

https://imgur.com/a/WllH9Mo

Last edited:
I think the W7 vs W10 may be the culprit.

I've had a similar problem running RS5k / Studio 5k on a W10 box where I couldn't download, only go online and make changes that way.

Version 16 is not tested on Windows 10 and I would not expect it to work.

I specifically run VM's with Windows XP and Windows 7 for working on older systems.

Version 16 is not tested on Windows 10 and I would not expect it to work.

I specifically run VM's with Windows XP and Windows 7 for working on older systems.

Ok... so I'm going to sound really stupid right now but for whatever reason when I wrote this post I had a brain-****. Both pc's are on Windows 7. I went over to try and setup a VM and as I logged in I saw the logo at the bottom of the screen. :sick:

Knowing that pc-2 is actually a windows 7 machine, does this change anything?

Did you select to delete module profiles when you uninstalled? If not you might try again and check that box, or it looks like you can uninstall and manually delete the files then reinstall. I know this is a technote for V17 but the issue sounds similar.

54635 | Date Created: 08/25/2008 | Last Updated: 01/11/2018
Access Level: Everyone

After installing V17 English and trying to create a new 1756-L6x project you get:

Failed to create project file. Module profile could not be loaded. the profile may not be installed, or there is no profile support for the module's revision.

If a local language version 16.03 is on the PC when you install V17 English, the controller XML file will not be updated. V17.00 English will fail to install the new version of controllers that it needs.

Workaround:

(See also Technote 56924 - Uninstalling just v17 with the option to remove Module Profiles selected may correct this issue.)

1. Uninstall all versions of RSLogix 5000 from the box.

2. Make sure C:\Program Files\Common Files\Rockwell\ ModuleDirectory.xml and ModuleDirectory.dll are deleted if not delete them manually.

3. Install v17.00 English first and then any v16.03 localization versions that you want to install

I have seen this before when one computer was missing an AOP for a device in the ethernet tree. It can still go online and do edits, but it couldn't compile for a full download because it didn't have the information on that device. Get both PC's online at the same time, and compare the network devices side-by-side, look for any differences.

edit: didn't see your screenhost, or the post above before posting. Looks like it's the same issue as I described, but it's missing the module profiles for local I/O rather than networked I/O devices. Have a look at the technote above, that'll be your first step in trying to resolve this.

Last edited:
Did you select to delete module profiles when you uninstalled? If not you might try again and check that box, or it looks like you can uninstall and manually delete the files then reinstall. I know this is a technote for V17 but the issue sounds similar.

54635 | Date Created: 08/25/2008 | Last Updated: 01/11/2018
Access Level: Everyone

After installing V17 English and trying to create a new 1756-L6x project you get:

Failed to create project file. Module profile could not be loaded. the profile may not be installed, or there is no profile support for the module's revision.

If a local language version 16.03 is on the PC when you install V17 English, the controller XML file will not be updated. V17.00 English will fail to install the new version of controllers that it needs.

Workaround:

(See also Technote 56924 - Uninstalling just v17 with the option to remove Module Profiles selected may correct this issue.)

1. Uninstall all versions of RSLogix 5000 from the box.

2. Make sure C:\Program Files\Common Files\Rockwell\ ModuleDirectory.xml and ModuleDirectory.dll are deleted if not delete them manually.

3. Install v17.00 English first and then any v16.03 localization versions that you want to install

Just got finished trying this and it didn't work. The local and now the only version of Logix5000 on my PC is 16.04. I also checked that directory on my C drive and neither of those files are there. Only FTACommon.dll is located there but this is the same on my PC that is working properly so I doubt that is the issue.

So we kind of solved the issue. We swapped in a L62 processor we had laying around which was on firmware version 20. We updated the processor and version number within our ACD file and the issue was fixed.

Still was never able to get it to work on version 16 though. The really strange part too is on pc-2 that wasn't able to download I couldn't do the firmware/processor upgrade. I had to go on pc-1 to update the file then move it back over to pc-2 and it will now download file. Really strange issue. Figured I'd go ahead and post this update in case any future readers have a similar issue.