Wincc Flex 2007 adv with 2005 runtime

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is it ok to create a file with 2007 advance and send DL it to a machine running runtime 2005?

I'm looking to not spend the money upgrading all the pc's in the shop since new items are coming in with 2007 advanced.

Any advice. My other issue is that my rep is telling me the 2005 standard to advance upgrade for Flex is no longer being sold :(

For a Flex 2005 PC RT to run, it must be compiled with Flex 2005.
You can use Save as version 2005, but you cannot compile the RT with Flex 2007.
I use VMWare to have several versions of Flex installed on my PC for just that reason.

You are right that the upgrade from 2005 Standard to Advanced is no longer being sold. Oddly, there is still an upgrade from Protool Pro to Flex Advanced.

Why do you need to purchase a new Flex 2005 Advanced ?
As you have configured 2005 RT projects before, you must have the installation disk somewhere.
As I see it, even if I upgrade my Flex as new versions arrive, I still have the right to occasionally use previous Flex versions to compile the RT for existing projects.

Our newer machines came in with 2007 advance so we upgraded our Wincc flex 2005 adv -> Wincc flex 2007 adv

I was told it was backwards compatible. I was mis-informed. You can use a save as and save to older version but then you cannot download it to the pc as a runtime. So my only license key now is 2007 advance :(

I now have a quote to upgrade all of our runtimes to 2007. I was just trying to avoid that.

This is a general problem for all users of WinCC Flex PC Runtimes.
There is already a 2008, then again next year and next year etc. etc.
My solution which is not entirely satisfactory is to use VMWare.
The real solution would be to be able to compile as previous versions.
Or, it should be much less expensive to upgrade RT packages.
Neither will happen .. unless they watch us and we yell and cry very loud and long.

Very true,

Which version of WMware do you use?

I know with the AB RSView Studio when you create your runtime you can create it as the current version up to the past 3 or 4 versions. I was hoping the Flex would be similar but it is not.