Micrologix 1400 email setup

DermotM

Lifetime Supporting Member
I want to setup alarm email notification from an ML1400 and have followed the instructions but still get an error. See Attached. My mail server is a server running Windows Server 2003 with Exchange. The server i/p is 192.168.16.2 which I have referenced in the setup, again the attached images tell the story. I have also tried using the DNS name instead of the i/p address but still get the same error. Although the email addresses in the images are not valid I have been using valid email addresses in the application. The error code seems to state 'Connection Timed Out By The Network' page 469 in the instruction set reference 1766-rm001. I would appreciate any suggestions anybody may have.

Regards to all
Dermot

ml1400-1.jpg ml1400-2.jpg ml1400-3.jpg ml1400-4.gif ml1400-5.gif

Shouldn't the IP address entered in the 'Multi Hop' be that of the actual ML1400? You have the email server address entered?

Are you sure the ML1400 can get out ok to the email server. That was the only issues we seem to have...

Regards,

Rob

My reading of the multihop is that its the 'To' address (Server)

I have since tried your suggestion but get error 'dd' 'SMTP error' so have reverted back to the server address.

I have turned on message tracking in exchange on our server and attempted to send the msg again. I got the same error d6 'Connection timed out by the network' and nothing showed up in the message tracking log. I know my network connection to the ML1400 is good as i have a HMI connected over ethernet ip which is working and I can web into the ML1400.

Appreciate all your suggestions

Regards to all
Dermot

Dermot,

I've attached a single page of a technote from AB (tried to post the whole document but it's too big). It may be useful to read through their example (if you want to PM or post your email i'll send it across).

You'll notice it does say to use the 'Local controllers IP' in the Multi-Hop option. I think it basically sends the email to itself then out to the SMTP server...

Hope this helps.

Rob

Rob,

Much appreciate, I have set the multihop to both the PLC's ip add' and the one shown in your link and am now in both instances getting error code dd SMPT error which appears to be: 0x05dd (1501) – Communication error with SMTP mail server. Again I checked message logging in exchange and no evidence of any attempted transmission. I'm still not sure if this error is on the PLC side or the exchange side, my feeling is its on the PLC side.

Many thanks
Dermot

ml1400-6.gif ml1400-7.gif ml1400-8.gif

Dermot,

Not sure if it's relevant but when I set the channel config on our PLC's we had the 'Gateway' address the same as the 'Primary name server'??

The error you seem to be getting is the one we had when our PLC could not route out to the (internet based) email server...as soon as I set the Primary DNS to point to the internet, bingo!

Rob

Solved the problem!! I was using the exchange administrator email account for authentication and the from address, as soon as I gave the PLC its own account and PW in exchange and updated the chan1 smtp it worked. Just to recap Our DNS server (192.168.16.2) is seperate to our gateway but the gateway ip address (192.168.16.1) in chan 1 setup had no effect on the operation of smtp, I did try setting it to the same address as the server but was still getting the same error. Also in the multihop I set the ip add' to the PLC's ip

So thank you guys for your suggestions and help

Kind regards to all
Dermmot

Sorry to drag this up from the depths of time.

The error you seem to be getting is the one we had when our PLC could not route out to the (internet based) email server...as soon as I set the Primary DNS to point to the internet, bingo!

Kidblue, would you mind explaining how you got the PLC to contact an internet based mail server? I want to get the PLC to send a message via gmail. Do I put smtp.gmail.com in the email server name? Do I have to change anything on the channel 1 setup - 'set the Primary DNS to point to the inernet' - what does this mean?

Thanks!