RS232 to Blue tooth

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone here had any success using an RS232 to Bluetooth device? I would like to connect to an Omron CS1G wirelessly, with my laptop. It is for a robot and trying to connect with a wired connection isn't possible, without the robot running over my cable. Thanks

The question must be if the Omron programming software demand that the serial port is a real port with a real UART, or if a virtual COM port is acceptable.
I have no knowledge about that.
One way to check it could be to use a USB-to-RS232 adapter (which costs next to nothing) and test if it works.
If it does work my guess is that a Bluetooth-to-RS232 gateway will work too.

The question must be if the Omron programming software demand that the serial port is a real port with a real UART, or if a virtual COM port is acceptable.
I have no knowledge about that.
One way to check it could be to use a USB-to-RS232 adapter (which costs next to nothing) and test if it works.
If it does work my guess is that a Bluetooth-to-RS232 gateway will work too.

Hey! Now there's an idea. I already have to go through a RS232 to USB adapter to connect to this device. I could then connect that USB to blue tooth or ethernet wifi module.....I think. Great thought. THanks.

Hey! Now there's an idea. I already have to go through a RS232 to USB adapter to connect to this device. I could then connect that USB to blue tooth or ethernet wifi module.....I think. Great thought. THanks.
Errr... you are welcome.
(Since the USB-to-RS232 works, I would just go for a Bluetooth-to-RS232).