Use Kinco HMI as modbus slave

nygma

Hi Experts,

I have a Kinco ET070 (or a Chinese copy) HMI with modbus. I want to find out if I can use this in an unusual scenario:
I want to access this device as a modbus slave. I mean I want to give it an station number and be able to read/write the internal registers as it would normally do the same with a PLC. Is this possible at all? I know where the RS485 settings are, but there is no station number for the HMI, only the PLC that I add to the layout.

I have a setup where a computer is running some bespoke code and it can talk to modbus slaves. I cannot make the computer itself as a modbus slave this is why I want to see if I can read/write the registers of the HMI over the modbus line.

Thanks a lot,
Csongor

According to the horrifying Kinco "HMI and PLC Setting" manual (and I hate to admit I've worked on these abominations) they can be set up as a modbus slave. The manual is included with HMIWare.

According to the horrifying Kinco "HMI and PLC Setting" manual (and I hate to admit I've worked on these abominations) they can be set up as a modbus slave. The manual is included with HMIWare.

Sorry, this project has been on the backburner for a while. I am still not able to find the part of the document you are referring to. I can set up a project with a generic Modbus RTU PLC, I see how I can provide the slave ID to that device, but still not to the HMI.