Fanuc robot questions

unsaint32

Does Fanuc LR mate 200ic have pulse coders or resolvers in its joints for position feedback?

Do resolvers AC power since they are transformers?

Also, I understand that robot position data is stored in a volatile memory card in a robot controller and that is why it needs a battery at power loss. Why does Fanuc robots also have additional batteries in the robot base?

Thank you so much.

Not sure about the 1st question, but anyways they are absolute within a single motor turn and do not need backup when powered off.
The battery backup is for multiturn count.
The batteries in the robot base are exactly the backup power for the robot absolute encoders, while the one on the controller is for the controller itself.
Be aware, that opening the robot battery cover disconnects the batteries, so do it only when the robot is connected to the controller and the latter is powered up.

Not sure about the 1st question, but anyways they are absolute within a single motor turn and do not need backup when powered off.
The battery backup is for multiturn count.
The batteries in the robot base are exactly the backup power for the robot absolute encoders, while the one on the controller is for the controller itself.
Be aware, that opening the robot battery cover disconnects the batteries, so do it only when the robot is connected to the controller and the latter is powered up.

I have contacted Fanuc directly and learned that Fanuc robots have encoders, that they call serial pulse coders.

So, here is my question. I understand that we want to keep track of any axis movement during power is off. But how can that be achieved with only encoders? The battery must also power up some computer board that processes the encoder signal and stores the turn count, right?

As I said before, there is no need to remember the motor position within a single turn, as the encoders are absolute.
Their multiturn counters are not only backed by the batteries, but remain functional, being powered by the batteries, when the robot is powered off.
These counters are not in the controller, but in each motor encoder.

Last edited: