PLC test rigg tips.. ?

JIMCON

Hello.

Me and my co-worker have decided to build some kind of a PLC testing equipment to simulate diffrent field situations for development and education. But we now have some lack of ideas on what we shall build and what sensors that could be useful to this project. Our PLC system is a Siemens S7-315 with 2x Digital I/O and 2X Analog I/O.
Anyone who have some suggestions or ideas on a PLC testing rigg??

// Jim

Siemens sell test I/O with toggle switches and variable suppies and meters.

I would look at getting a PC simulator, that way you can set up for anything you want.

Before the days of simulators though, we used to make uip a mimic of the plant from the P&ID drawings and fit toggle switches and lamps at various places to simulate the real hardware.

Isnt PC simulator expensive to connect to PLC ? I have acsess to tons of old transmitters and toggle switches and maybe some servos.. thats why we want to use hardware :).. And if we use real hardware we get more hands on the stuff.

Make a Vehicle Dashboard with and HMI, a foot pedal switched out with one of your analog inputs. Make the Analog output drive your servo, and stuff like that. Imagination.
You will be surprised to know that once someone puts the energy into a small project that is fun, others will want to learn as well.

Rockwell makes a Windows-based simulator software that somehow takes over the data table. You can set up the screen with buttons, switches, thumbwheels (for entering analog data).

It works with ControlLogix and PLC-5 but I don't know if it works with other brands of PLC's.

It sure beats doing a lot of temporary wiring.

SNK said:
Make a Vehicle Dashboard with and HMI, a foot pedal switched out with one of your analog inputs. Make the Analog output drive your servo, and stuff like that. Imagination.
You will be surprised to know that once someone puts the energy into a small project that is fun, others will want to learn as well.

This one sound really cool.. cause we are going to use a HMI aswell

Yes, it is cool. I set this up for our group to learn on. I gave the basics, showed them what it was capable of, then wiped out everything except for a simple template, that way it is not too overwhelming to learn on. I find that if things are too difficult, people won't use the tools.