Panelbuilder32

GregPLC

Ok, so I'm just finishing up a program for a brine system, and when I got to configuring the alarms in the panelview, I got a little tripped up. This is the first time I actually want to use an alarm reset on the screen, to write back to the PLC as an alarm reset. Typically for alarms, I just have a PB on the panel for alarm reset. This instance I want to use the Panelview

I have the alarm logic in my PLC (5/05), setting a bit based on an event....nothing fancy, basic alarm logic. Well, I have actually never used "alarm ack" with the panelview. It's not as straightforward as I expected. All I want to do is be able to configure the button in the alarm banner to set a bit on the plc (reset).

In panelbuilder, all of my alarm triggers are "bit". Everything works great with the alarms. Under the "alarm triggers" tab, if you right click and then choose "use optional fields", you now have a place to create an "ack tag", for a given alarm trigger. How do I assign that "ack tag", to the button in the alarm banner??? And, the "ack tag", tag cannot be bit...must be BCD, INT, SINT, etc... The 2 manuals I have "panelbuilder32 quickstart" and "getting results" guide don't mention the configuration of the "ack tag". I called our local tech support and they couldn't answer my question, he set up a PV, but he didn't have a whole lot of of experience with this. He's getting back to me with an answer......There's something simple I'm missing...I just want to toggle a bit back at the PLC with the alarm ack. I can cheat and create another button on the alarm list or something, but there's gotta be a different way.

TIA,

Greg

probaly not

Hi Greg
In your tag form you should be able to
scroll backup to bit level. If for some reason you`ve configured this tag as bool somewhere in the drop down bit will not show you have to scroll up to bit. See if there is not two more arrows after you select the drop down.

Hope this helps?? banghead

Greg

I can't shed much light on your dilemna, but I'll be interested in the answers you get. I've always done as much "in the PLC" as possible, leaving the PV as a glorified button-bank/display/info- center. I don't program the PV to alarm or acknowledge--I use the PLC for alarming, then display faults and acknowledge buttons on the PV. I'll be interested to see how others treat faults.

Greg,

This is from the alarm examples, it looks like if you use integers with values, the operator can ack the alarm and then the PV will send the same value back to another integer that you can then compare and use as your ack trig.
Just a thought, I always just use the alarm page and banner on my PV's for operator alram and event notifications. Then use seperate buttons for clearing and silencing.
This could be an interesting thread, I might have to try this type of ack and my next project.

"Operator Acknowledges Alarm and Notifies Controller

In this example, the operator presses the Ack button to acknowledge an alarm. The terminal notifies the remote device by writing the alarm’s trigger value to the Ack address defined for the trigger. Optional Fields are enabled for the alarm triggers.

1 On the Alarm Messages tab of the Alarm Setup dialog:

§ Four alarms are assigned to a Pump trigger tag, each with a different trigger value.

§ All alarm messages are configured to display in the Alarm Banner and must be acknowledged.

Text Value/Bit Trigger Ack Print Display
MsgA 10 Pump X X
MsgB 15 Pump X X
MsgC 20 Pump X X
MsgD 25 Pump X X
2 On the Alarm Triggers tab of the Alarm Setup dialog, the Pump trigger is defined.

Trigger Tag Trigger Type Ack Tag
Pump Value Pump Ack
3 The PanelView reads the value 15 from the Trigger (Pump) address in the remote device. This value triggers alarm Msg B.

4 Alarm Msg B is placed in the Alarm List

5 The Alarm Banner displays alarm text.

6 The operator presses the Ack button

- Alarm Msg B is flagged acknowledged in the Alarm List
- Alarm Banner is cleared from the display

7 The PanelView notifies the remote device by writing the alarm’s trigger value (15) to the Ack address (PumpAck) defined for the trigger."

Hi
I use the PV's alarm capability like this...

alarms.jpg

The trigger tag is a bit and the acknowledge tag is an INT.

When the alarm pops up and you press the Acknowledge button, the PanelView writes a decimal value equivalent to the alarm's bit i.e. if B3:10/5 was the alarm, the Acknowledge tag gets 5 written into this. For this reason, I don't use bit 0 as an alarm.

In the PLC, you get your acknowledge bit (reset bit) by

OTE B3:20/[N7:0]
(N7:0) is the Acknowledge tag.

After the alarm logic, I use...

AND B3:10 B3:20 B3:20

...to clear the acknowledge bit after the alarm has cleared. Using this method gives me two advantages:
1. Each alarm has its own reset bit i.e. you can't acknowledge unseen alarms
2. When the alarm pops up, and you press Ack, the alarm clears when the condition goes healthy i.e. you don't have to keep pressing a reset button.

pp

Last edited:
i would still use the pushbutton as it is a lot faster
however we use both and on screen and the pushbutton
as the first thing a worker does is push this ****ing button,

[attachment]

It looks like you don't need to assign a pushbutton to write a value to the ack tag. Rather, whenever the ack button is pressed the bit position value is written to the ack tag.

hth

grs

untitled.jpg