OT…Question to the whisky tasters.

sparkie said:
Can you get this in the states? I like Irish whiskey and would love to try this.

geniusintraining said:
Yep

https://www.google.com/search?q=con...uU56HfAhVqxFkKHbDeAWsQsxgILQ&biw=1920&bih=976

Looks like its around 50 a bottle, I buy a lot online... but when im in Augusta GA there is one store next to Costco that is dirt cheap, the normal Patron is around 50 a bottle and they sell it for 27

Mark, did you get Tyrconnell "over the counter" or did you buy it online? I had a quick look while posting the Connemara info but I didn't see any direct Stateside sources but Google is probably filtering for nearest location to me. Amazon.com don't seem to have it. "Lots" of Connemara Whiskey glasses and accessories but no actual bottles for sale. Amazon.co.uk, on the other hand, have plenty of it.

Your link is obviously a basic Google search and the results for me are showing me stockists in Ireland and obviously prices in Euro based on my location, so I can't see whatever results you guys are seeing?

My second search result is my go to - O'Briens. But they're nationwide so plenty of them not too far a drive away on this little Island.

An ideal way to taste test before investing is to look for a good supplier that does Whiskey/Whisky tasting events. Or for yourself or a gift, you can buy a tasting set that samples a few brands and varieties, say 6 or 12. Good sets of 12 can cost over €100 but you generally get a 25ml wee nip of each.

I'd love a shot here now (just after lunchtime) as it's cold, wet and windy out. Another storm hitting us just a week before Christmas (Deirdre), but I've got to drive to my parent's house now to sort out a heating zone valve with my Father.

Maybe later when I'll hopefully deserve it?...

G.

I got mine over the counter still have not opened it, Amazon does not have much over here for liquor and they charge to much anyway but there are plenty of others that offer good deals

In some of the local stores some of the micro distilleries will have samples tasting, I will buy a bottle even if they are not very good.... need to support the local little guys, I would love to make my own

This is what I see on the Google link

tsdghdt.png

Last night myself & my good Wife were actually at a local brewers tasting night in a quaint old Irish Pub/Grocer "O'Briens" (not to be mixed up with that supplier I mentioned). Ballykilcavan Brewing Company already have a few ales on the go but were launching their new "Blackwell Irish Stout" on draught. The tap was setup temporary in the back lounge we call "The Office". It's like an old Irish livingroom with a fireplace - very snug. They had a bit of trouble getting the gas right but got there in the end. I'd tried a bottle of it while waiting on the draught but I didn't finish it. Bit flat and watery. The draught wasn't bad. Cold, smooth and creamy and went down well but it couldn't hold its head. Probably still issues with the gas. But it also couldn't hold a candle to Guinness. Still, I agree. We should support local brewers so I bought 6 bottles. It was a first night and I'm sure they'll improve on it after our constructive feedback. They grow their own barley on the farm that's been in their family for 13 generations dating back to 1639. Their award winning barley is malted in the 150 year old Minch Malt Company (now owned by Belgian Boortmalt), which I actually contracted into for twelve years. It's an interesting and challenging process which I did enjoy being involved in.

I always love to see local enterprise initiatives and try to support them and I hope they do well. So I want ye all to order Blackwell Irish Stout and their pale ales from all over the world, OK?

Joe in "The Office"...
Screenshot_20181216-202001.png

G.

Geospark said:
They grow their own barley on the farm that's been in their family for 13 generations dating back to 1639

Very cool!! I like wine also and would love to visit a old French vineyard, I use to go to Napa Valley its like a art growing this stuff and knowing how to process it, I have one local customer thats a micro beer brewery

My bucket list
Get trunk in a Irish pub and sing songs with the locals 🍺

Very cool!! I like wine also and would love to visit a old French vineyard, I use to go to Napa Valley its like a art growing this stuff and knowing how to process it, I have one local customer thats a micro beer brewery

My bucket list
Get trunk in a Irish pub and sing songs with the locals 🍺

I hope you mean "drunk".....

I would thoroughly recommend Galway City then, I have been a few times for the rugby and there is great craic there. Not as busy as Dublin, but busy and lively enough for a few beers etc and singing - mind you, wearing the kilt probably helped get us in with the locals....🍺🍺

Galway - Gaillimh: Stony, as in Stony River

JohnCalderwood said:
...I would thoroughly recommend Galway City then, I have been a few times for the rugby and there is great craic there. Not as busy as Dublin, but busy and lively enough for a few beers etc and singing - mind you, wearing the kilt probably helped get us in with the locals...

Galway City is a great spot for tourists. It's name means "Stony" after the stony River Corrib which runs from Lake Corrib out to the Atlantic Sea. It traces it origins back to 1124 when a small Fort was built there by an Irish High King. (Incidentally the 1100's is when Irish Monks first started distilling Whiskey!). It was held in Irish rule for over one hundred years until the Norman invasion. The Norman settlers eventually became Gaelicised and formed a band of merchant families known as the "Tribes of Galway". They retained power over Galway, a thriving trade port to Spain and France, for several centuries while holding off many a would be usurper up until the end of the 17th century, when, having aligned themselves to the Catholic King James II's "Jacobites", they eventually fell to the Protestant Dutch Prince William of Orange's "Williamites" during the "Williamite–Jacobite War". Thus securing British and Protestant rule over the entire island of Ireland for the following two centuries. The rest is history, as they say. The 14 merchant family crests of the Tribes of Galway can be seen in the City centre on upright flag poles.

The famous "ceann an bhalla" (the head of the wall), later known as the "Spanish Arch", was built in 1519 by the Tribes to extend the town's walls to protect the busy merchant quays from would be attackers. Part of the Arches are still standing today and have proven to be a favourite among tourists. Galway City, like many parts of Ireland, is steeped in a long and colourful history.

We try to stay in Galway City a couple of weekends each year and usually stay in Jury's Inn Hotel, which is a very nice and central Hotel. The "Spanish Arch Bar" is just next door and was always a favourite of ours. Always good craic, beer and music. "Riff Raff" are an excellent rock cover band that we usually hope to catch when we're over that way. If not them, there was usually a good traditional session on or something lively. But alas, the Bar since changed ownership and it's more DJ's and Daiquiri's now on the weekends, catering for the young and trendy types. You've got to be staying during the week now to catch the "good stuff".

Another good spot is "Tigh Neactain" (translation: House of Naughton) which has a great "Old Ireland" atmosphere to it without being too "touristy cheesy flavoured". They also have the "Kasbah Wine Bar" next door.

Then there is Munroe's for live bands. Drink is "OK" but the music is usually excellent.

Roisin Dubh (translation: Black Rose) is thee top spot for live music in the City and you are always sure to be entertained. It opens until 2am 7 nights a week and beats going to a night club any day, in my book.

For restaurants, "Cava Bodega" is an excellent and unassuming Spanish Tapas restaurant which is always busy. "Il Folletto" is good for Italian and "Neo" for Asian Food. Oh and "Oscar's" is award winning for Seafood.

Yeah, it's a great spot to visit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you know? - In the early middle Ages, Irish Monks had traveled throughout Europe. They would have seen the Muslims using Alembic stills to make perfumes and medicinal potions and would eventually adapt these methods for their own production of "medicinal" Whiskey.

The Whiskey that Irish Monks first started making in the 1100's was known as "Uisce Beatha" in Irish, which means "Water of Life". The Monks also Christened it "Aqua Vitae" from the same term in Latin. "Uisce" would sound like "isshhka" when said in Irish. The English word "Whisky" is a corruption of the original word "Uisce" but became popular among English speakers as an alternative to the more difficult to pronounce Irish word. It would later become "Whiskey" with an "e" to distinguish the original Irish "Whiskey" from Scotch "Whisky".

"...By the time King Henry VIII came to the throne in 1509, thanks to the Monks, the people of Ireland had long been enjoying the effect that Uisce Beatha was having on them but in 1541 Henry ordered the dissolution of the monasteries and the confiscation of all their properties. With the Monks now gone, the population of Ireland took distilling their favorite drink into their own hands.

Although the English government banned private distillation in 1781, this didn’t stop the determined Irish Whiskey makers. By the end of the 18th century there were over 2000 illicit stills operating in Ireland. By the 1800's a "Shebeen"
(Irish for unlicensed pub) could be found in every town and village in Ireland...

...By 1880 over 400 different brands of Irish Whiskey were on sale around the world, and by 1900 the volume of Whiskey being distilled in Ireland had quadrupled to keep up with demand. Dublin was the acknowledged Whiskey capital of the world...

...Due to various circumstances that affected Whiskey production, including World War 1 and Prohibition in America, by 1966 out of the hundreds of famous Irish brands that had once existed, only five Irish Whiskies had survived (they merged to form Irish Distillers Ltd)

The recent success of Cooley Distillery encouraged an explosion of new distillery startups including new sites for historic brands like Tullamore Dew, as well as distilleries in Dingle, Slane, Carlow (close to me) and once again in the heart of Dublin City in "The Liberties" (historic inner City working class neighbourhood famous for Whiskey distilling)...

...Today Irish Whiskey is the fastest growing spirit brand in the world...

This is also an interesting and concise timeline of the History of Irish Whiskey on the Walsh Whiskey Distillery's website, which is just down the road from me.

We're back! Hard to keep a thirsty, starving and perpetually oppressed nation down! As we often say..."That's the Spirit!"...

Getting late here now - time for home as I've just made myself absolutely mouth-wateringly ravenous, not to mention the hangin' thirst I've whetted me lips for.

G.