ControlLogix L73 Scan Time - Purposely Delayed

MikeGuerard

Hi Guys,

Quick Question...

Is there a method or instruction to purposely delay the scan time of a ControlLogix processor?

We're looking at upgrading controllers / drives and were wondering what type of net effect on product cycle time a change in scan time would have.

Thanks!

Mike

You can set up periodic tasks and define the frequency of the task operating. That may achieve what you want.

All right Tharon - that sounds like it just might give me the feedback I'd need!

Good suggestions - thanks.

We're seeing a reasonably variable scan rate currently (11-53ms) - I was hoping to have a set extension to that rate - i.e. add 10, 20 or 50ms to each scan.

Could that "add on" scan time be achieved by changing to an event-driven scan rate and triggering a delay timer at the end of each scan?

How would I trigger that at the ten

RA is saying they can cut our scan rate by ~30ms...mgmt. of course is trying to equate that to dollars and cents.

Thanks again!

While it depends on your process, generally speaking scan time isn't improving cycle times. It's improving response and accuracy.

I'm not sure about using periodic tasks to add set amounts of scan time to a system. That may not be possible. The periodic tasks will ensure that your scans always happen at the same intervals though. Which can improve certain things.

I would try putting a FOR loop at the end of your scan, and have the FOR loop do a bunch of useless math or string processing. I would then play with the amount of stuff that it does until you get the time about right for what you're looking for.

That being said, what are you really trying to do? It sounds like you're trying to determine a financial cost per ms of scan time. I'm not sure that that an additional 30 ms is necessarily going to correlate directly to a reduction of 30 ms.

If you want to dynamically change the Rate of a routine, you can use a SSV to write a new rate to it during run time.

you might be interested in the "HEAVY LOAD - DELAY LOOP" figure shown near the end of the following post ... basically it lets you adjust the timer's PRESET value for whatever amount of "delay time" you need ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=160378&postcount=3

CAUTION! ... naturally this shouldn't be added to a "working" system ... but I use this sort of thing extensively for training purposes ...

Last edited:
I use something like this extensively for testing purposes:

LBL(WaitForTimer)NOP();
XIO(TestTimer1.DN) TON(TestTimer1,0,0);
XIO(TestTimer1.DN)JMP(WaitForTimer);

I know this is an old thread, but hoping the OP is still around and can provide a follow up.

MikeGuerard did you ever upgrade your processors? I am looking at doing the same and going from L6 controller to L8's. Wondering what kind of increase you were able to achieve? If I am able to get 100ms increase on cycle time from the faster scan rate then the upgrade will pay for itself fairly quick including the cost of having to upgrade HMI's as well (running complex fully automated equipment with hundreds of air cylinders, tens of servos and thousand+ sensors per machine).

Any scan rate to cycle rate information you can share would be very helpful!