Error 1320 File Path too long while in stalling RSLinx Classic Lite

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to Install RSLinx Classic Lite on a remote machine so I can use the Clock Sync Tool, But I keep getting this error.

Code:
Error 1320.The specified path is too long C:\ProgramData\Documents\Rockwell Automation
I have already done a registry edit to enable Longer Paths, and then restarted several times but that didn't work.

Does anyone know of a work around?

Note: This is a Windows 7 Embedded machine. It is remotely located so I have no way up updating it to Windows 10

see screen shot

2020-04-20 14-27-57 CL-BEN-LAPTOP.png

The installer doesn't give me the option to choose where it goes, and this is not even the main install folder that is causing the issue, it is a hidden setting folder.

I have a feeling that the error is misleading. The path being show is the standard path name for any installation. This is most likely going to be something related to the fact that you are doing this remotely.

Is the installer located on the drive of the remote machine? Or is the installer located on a netowrk? How are are you connecting to this machine? VNC or Remote Desktop?

The installer is located directly on the Remote PCs desktop.

Yes am RDP'ed in to it. I deleted the install folder and I am re-extracting it. I will try it again after that.

I'm sure I have tried that already before though, I have been at this off and on for like a week now.

I've seen rockwell software do weird things will RDP'd in (which is probably what dmroeder was alluding to). VNC would be worth trying as the installer shouldn't be able to tell you are remote at that point.

The path that is too long it the "Environment Variables"

Right click on Computer, Properties, Advanced System Settings

On the popup click on Environment Variables and all the standard paths will show. These are the ones the Windows looks in if a program name is entered in Run or Search without the full path to the folder.

There is a hard limit to the number of characters that can be in the path. Look through it and if there are any programs that have been deleted or are not used a lot then delete those entries from the path.

Do you have knowledge base access?

KB BF22887
🍺
Yes I have TechConnect Access, It being a TechConnect Level article maybe why I didn't find it on Google.

Boom that worked

The junction C:\ProgramData\Documents was pointing to Z:\Users\Public\Documents

Z drive doesn't exists :oops:

I knew about symbolic links in windows, I have used them before. I was not aware of junctions though. They seem to be a slightly different from symbolic links in that they are only for directories.

P.S. I am assuming it is naughty to copy the solution from the TechConnect article here?

Glad you solved it. I was going to ask if you were installing it specifically in ADMIN mode by right clicking on the installer and choosing run as ADMIN. That solves a lot of whacky Windows problems.

Correction: that solves a lot of wacky Rockwell problems.
I concur.

Microsoft has solved most if not all of the UAC / Elevated user issues years and years ago. Haven't really been a problem since Windows 7 was released, IIRC.

It's not Microsoft's fault that Rockwell spends more money on Sales staff than developers :D

I remember this thread from last year and had a smart *** response on the Error 1320. Path too long... and the correct path length should be 1000 feet. Didn't think too many would get that.

Last edited: