3G comms between remote stations.

joaco1993

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I have the following setup:

3 remote stations that will run a micro820 plc each one.
1 main station that will run a compactlogix plc and will communicate with the 3 remote stations.

In the main station will be a scada that will communicate only with the compactlogix.

The compactlogix as the server running the scada will be in an existing network.

The remote stations are aprox 200-250km away from the main station, and it is a requisite to use 3G or better technology to communicate between them.

Has anyone done something similar ? what products have you used ?

Thanks!

I don't know of any products but you are better of with a VPN via the internet. At very least you will need to go with 4G (3G is going obsolete).

I don't know of any products but you are better of with a VPN via the internet. At very least you will need to go with 4G (3G is going obsolete).

Hi Freijo,

But in order to connect to a VPN i would need a pc and the remote stations will only have the PLC and a 3g/4g modem/cellular router,

In the modems can i configure to connect to a vpn ? everytime i connected to a vpn was using a pc.. so i dont know

thanks

You can definitely do site to site VPN.

Is the main station in an area where you can get an ADSL or fiber internet connection? For a traditional VPN you need the main site to have a fixed public IP address. Then the remote modems establish a connection to the unit with the fixed IP.

The other option, which gives you less network monitoring but can still work for simple applications where you don't need dozens of devices at each site is to speak to your cellular provider about getting a private APN.

https://m2mdataconnect.com/what-is-a-private-apn-network/

VPNs can be challenging to get right if you are learning by yourself for the first time. If you can go down that route instead of the APN approach then I'd recommend engaging a company that specializes in networking to set it up initially for you.

3 Multitech cellular modems setup with VPN. This way everything will be just as if they are on the same network.

This means you will need a "Cellular Connection" for each modem, that could come from Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Etc.. Now depending on the bandwidth usage per month, you could have a $100.00, $400.00 or more per month access fee! (Total for all 3)

And what about Security?

This can be done easily but may cost more then you want.

How much "DATA" will be passed? Does it have to be "REAL TIME"?

Is the Scada just going to monitor the DATA or will it have the ability to make changes
to the Tags back at the remote sites?

Just some more questions that may need to be asked.