Teamviewer Alternative?

Thanks, that worked for me

Cheat sheet for teamviewer:
F9aMU8A.jpg

or use windows 10 quick assist

+1 for Anydesk,

And its port forwarding works better than the VPN driver on teamviewer for connecting to a PLC.

Why? because you dont have to make the computer in the middle the default gateway on the plc in order for it to work like teamviewer vpn. just forward the port to your computer (tcp 44818) and then connect to RSlinx (mine was in a vm, my rslinx on my host kept seeing itself first which is why i used the vm, im sure there s a way to fix it i just havent looked further yet)

Team viewer or LogMeIn is good for connecting to customer computers for the occasional service but for connecting to equipment on a permanent or semipermanent basis I would use hamachi or zero tier or neo router and you can connect to your plc just like you are on the local LAN because logically you are. For pc support on these solutions just use VNC or built in RDP.

Team viewer or LogMeIn is good for connecting to customer computers for the occasional service but for connecting to equipment on a permanent or semipermanent basis I would use hamachi or zero tier or neo router and you can connect to your plc just like you are on the local LAN because logically you are. For pc support on these solutions just use VNC or built in RDP.

so would you recommend using any of the above mentioned routers versus a solution such as E W O N or Tosibox?

Cheat sheet for teamviewer:
F9aMU8A.jpg

or use windows 10 quick assist

This, but I'd make the company setup a VPN with remote desktop and when the remote connection isn't needed disconnect the ethernet cable.

If a companies IT can't setup a secure vpn connection then you don't want to have the connection on your production network.

An occasional service connection to the customers PC to look at, troubleshoot with them, I would use Chrome remote desktop.
https://remotedesktop.google.com/
Free, secure.
Just a thought.
Regards,

It's great but you need to sign in into the same Google account on both computers.
I use to connect to my work computer from home and smartphone.

If the client computer has the relevant software installed, you can do something called "Quick Assist" that's pre-installed on windows devices.

I have recently started using that to help out people in the plant when they call me at night, instead of going to the plant. It works really well for finding the root cause.

so would you recommend using any of the above mentioned routers versus a solution such as E W O N or Tosibox?

Depends.

As far as E W O N or tosibox they are single point solutions and made for a single machine or cell. Could you use them to access a multi machine network sure but the connection could get bogged down fast depending on the amount of remote work.

If the E W O N or tosibox dies then you lose access to your whole network.

One of the solutions I mentioned will run on multiple PC's and servers and any of them can broker a connection and provide a layer 2 or 3 connection to the LAN and provide redundancy by default where the hardware device does not without adding another expensive hardware device.

A lot of what has been discussed here like Logmein, Teamviwer, Splashtop, etc are desktop remote access solutions and only provide a remote connection to a desktop, laptop,server, tablet or phone.

One of the solutions in my list provides access to the entire network or can be limited by device as you wish. The solutions in my list all work off a brokered connection over standard ports and protocols much like the hardware solutions you mentioned.

The use port 80 traffic outbound used mostly by browsers HTTP traffic and port 443 traffic HTTPS and thus will work with any ethernet connection that has a path to the internet without the ned for IT to setup a firewall route and without modifying firewall rules.

Clear as mud I know but i hope it helps a little 🍺

Does anyone else have trouble getting TeamViewer VPN to work? I know this is off topic, but still kinda relevant. I cannot get my system to be able to ping a plc on the remote network. IProuting is on, I set route in my machine, set the PLC gateway to the IP of the remote PC, etc.

urqhul

You can use team viwer even for lan connection by enabling in options

https://prnt.sc/urqhul

These days issue with team viewer are the versions compatabiblity . I had a lot of isssue if the remote pc has old version and you would need to update to same version of host pc . Pain in the leg sometimes.

These days issue with team viewer are the versions compatabiblity . I had a lot of isssue if the remote pc has old version and you would need to update to same version of host pc . Pain in the leg sometimes.
True. It used to be that there were a quite relaxed backwards compatibility. Not any more. I guess they want to push for older licenses to be changed to the new subscription based license.

At the moment I am very satisfied with TV and my company pays the subscription licenses. But if I were by myself and starting to look for a remote support solution I would take a hard look at the alternatives.