Micrologix 1500 communication question.

Eric.Noe

I have a US Filter water softener i just got hooked up and plumbed into our brewery, and i need to check the program on it / download a new one. It is controlled via a Micrologix 1500 PLC. I have a 1747-PIC for our 500 series PLC. Can this be "modified" in any way to use it as a com link to the 1500? If not, what cable / com device would i need to edit / upload a new program to the Micrologix. I have all of the software needed, RSLinx and RSLogix, just in need of the correct cable. Thanks in advance.

.eric

AB has a com 1 port adapter that plugs into a usb port. I have never tried that but have one. I use a link coupler to get from the 1500 to dh485 and then a dh385 cable to get to the computer card.

Do you know any "cheap" places to go to for the COM1 - USB cable? This is probably going to be a one time deal. Maybe once more in the future, but the cheapest route would be the best. Would it be more/less expensive to do the DH485-DH385? What is the "computer card" you are talking about. Thaks.

.eric

I use a 1761-CBL-PM02 Cable on all my Micrologixs. You will need the serial port on your PC. Same as the PIC. Just set up Linx for DF-1.

Would it be a crazy idea to make one of these? I have the wiring diagram in the Micrologix Manual. Could possibly go to radioshack and get a couple of ends then wire em together?

.eric

Tom Jenkins said:
You can use the same RSLinx drivers and comm cables for the 1500 that you use for the SLC.

The 1500 has a com port that looks like a computer mouse connection (PS/2?). The PIC that i have has a CAT-5 looking end on it.

Ignore the PIC - it has no bearing on the MLX1500. But we can tell that if you are using a PIC then you have a true serial port. Get the cable as noted in the posts above. Just make sure that it is Series 'C'. It's much less heartache to get the right stuff at the start.

Eric.Noe said:
The 1500 has a com port that looks like a computer mouse connection (PS/2?). The PIC that i have has a CAT-5 looking end on it.

The 1500's usually have two comm ports. Under the little door is a DIN-8 connector, and on the end of the unit there is a DB-9 connector.

Tom Jenkins said:
The 1500's usually have two comm ports. Under the little door is a DIN-8 connector, and on the end of the unit there is a DB-9 connector.

Our model doesnt have the DB-9 on the side. Only the DIN-8 under the little door. Which cable is the DIN-8 to DB-9?

.eric

The 1500 processor is made in 2 models. The base (common between models) has 1 round mini din connector. The LSP processor has no comm ports whereas LRP processor has a DB9 comm port.
So if you use an LRP processor in the base you have 2 comm ports.
Now both ports can either be configured for DF1 or DH485 (as well as other protocols) If the port is configured as DF1 you only need the correct cable to connect using a DF1 driver in linx.
If the port is configured as DH485 you can use the same cable but use the PIC driver in Linx. (Default is DF1 for both ports)
If you dont have a real serial port on your computer, then most USB to serial adaptors will work for DF1 but if you require DH485 you will need to use Rockwells UIC USB to DH485 adaptor with the cable mentioned in other posts. (read the UIC help file for the config in linx)
Regards Alan Case

is it possible to use both the comm ports on the micrologix 1500 LRP simutaneously... ie connect comm 0 to pc running Rslogix and comm 1 to Hmi unit... obviously the communication setting will be set independantly to match the application and hardware requirement... and each node address will be unique... any help will be much appreciated... thanks in advance..