Micrologix 1100 - Powerflex 4 Comms??

Kabir

Communications Question

System Overview
Two Micrologix 1100 on an Ethernet network controlling a machine that has two sections (each controlled by one ML1100).

One ML1100 has flour contactors (FastRev/FastFwd,SlowRev/SlowFwd) controlling a motor which moves a plate that has an encoder as feedback to the plc. I wanna replace the contactors with a powerflex 4.

Question: I have never used RS485 but I see the powerflex 4 has it, I have more experience in DH+, DF1, Ethernet etc. So my question is, I wanna know an easy way to establish communications from a the Micologix to the drive possibly by direct connection.

Last edited:
The serial port from the Micrologix 1100 can be connected, preferably using the 1763-NC01, directly to the Powerflex4s. You can connect more than one on the communication port. Use the MODBUS setting for the port. The messages are very easy. You can send messages to control the operation and speed. Received messages include status and error information.

So no need for the AIC great, id get myself a 1763-NC01 or make one and test it when I get myself some time. Guessin Im setting up the ML1100 serial port as MODBUS Master. Do you know of a rockwell publication link on these commands or any other?

If you aren't sure about MODBUS just go to www.modbus.org and get the manual. They may want an email address.

The commands from the MLX1100 are just the MSG commands. Linking them one after the other is rather simple.

If you can get to it in the knowledge base then search for ""Quick Start" Communicating ModBus from a MicroLogix 1100 to a PowerFlex 4/40 drive and EtherNet to a PanelView Plus."

I'll be able to give you more help during the week if you need it.