SLC 5/03 indirect addressing error

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm trying to set up a 1746-HSCE2 high speed counter module in a SLC500 with a SLC 5/03 processor. The manual - http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um002_-en-p.pdf - gives an application example on page 6-7 using indirect addressing. However, when I try to verify the project, I get an error saying "Indirect addressing is not supported on the current processor type for the N file type".

The manual states that indirect addressing will only work with SLC 5/03 and higher processors. I have an SLC 5/03. The example in the manual also uses the N file type, so I don't know what the problem is.

The offending instruction is

COP

Source #N12:[N13:0]
Dest #O:5.0
Length 8

If anyone could offer any insight, it would be very much appreciated.

Using Indirect Word Addresses
You have the option of using indirect word-level and bit-level addresses for
instructions specifying word addresses when using an SLC 5/03 (OS302), SLC
5/04 (OS401), or SLC 5/05 processors.

The operating sytem needs to be OS302 or higher, yours is?

OS301 :)

I went ahead and did the programming using direct addressing and have both encoders counting, I'm very pleased to report. Out of interest though, is it possible to change the OS and if so, how?