Electronics engineering tech vs Software engineering

Timeismoney08

Hi all,
I know education is a appearance on here weekly, and can get old, but I'm really tossed up here.
I'm looking at these 2 degree programs from Cleveland institute of electronics, one is Electronics Engineering Technology and the other is Software Engineering, Both have an Associate degree, but only the electronics engineering has Bachelors.
Which would help more for Controls jobs?
I would really like to become a controls engineer at some point.
I do a lot of troubleshooting and here and there additions to programs in PLC's (AB & Siemens). I do a lot of deep programming with robots (Fanuc, Motoman, ABB, Kuka, Yamaha) , usually start to finish. In the robots we use some HTML so i figured software engineering could help for that and networking maybe. But the only thing I hate is i would like to really get a bachelors one day.

Whats your thought on this?

Thanks in advance

I would go for the engineering degree. It is more important to learn how things work. Only then can you think about controlling it.

I have a BSEE&BSCE. I have used my EE experience very little. I learned to program on my own. Learning how to program is much easier than learning all the physics and math. I really do believe that too many students are wasting their money learning how to use tools that will become obsolete or change rather than learn 'forever knowledge' which is the physics and math.

The knowledge I use the most that I learned in college is calculus, differential equations, LaPlace Transforms, and numerical analysis.

Learn how to use a CAS or computer alegrbra system. I have used Mathcad for about 20 years now. It isn't the best but I am familiar with it. If I were to start again I would get Mathematica. You should be able to get a student version for relatively cheap. Do not pass go until you get one of these math packages. A CAS will make learning fun and interesting.

I would go for the engineering degree. It is more important to learn how things work. Only then can you think about controlling it.

I have a BSEE&BSCE. I have used my EE experience very little. I learned to program on my own. Learning how to program is much easier than learning all the physics and math. I really do believe that too many students are wasting their money learning how to use tools that will become obsolete or change rather than learn 'forever knowledge' which is the physics and math.

The knowledge I use the most that I learned in college is calculus, differential equations, LaPlace Transforms, and numerical analysis.

Learn how to use a CAS or computer alegrbra system. I have used Mathcad for about 20 years now. It isn't the best but I am familiar with it. If I were to start again I would get Mathematica. You should be able to get a student version for relatively cheap. Do not pass go until you get one of these math packages. A CAS will make learning fun and interesting.

BSCE? Civil Engineering?

Hi all,
I know education is a appearance on here weekly, and can get old, but I'm really tossed up here.
I'm looking at these 2 degree programs from Cleveland institute of electronics, one is Electronics Engineering Technology and the other is Software Engineering, Both have an Associate degree, but only the electronics engineering has Bachelors.
Which would help more for Controls jobs?
I would really like to become a controls engineer at some point.
I do a lot of troubleshooting and here and there additions to programs in PLC's (AB & Siemens). I do a lot of deep programming with robots (Fanuc, Motoman, ABB, Kuka, Yamaha) , usually start to finish. In the robots we use some HTML so i figured software engineering could help for that and networking maybe. But the only thing I hate is i would like to really get a bachelors one day.

Whats your thought on this?

Thanks in advance

Electronics engineering will help more, but it won't help much. No school I'm aware of really gets heavy into PLCs if at all. You'll cover it a little bit, but the vast majority of your time will be spent covering things you will never use again. That's just the nature of any degree. Electronics is a very broad field and if they had to teach you how to be an expert at any job even somewhat related you'd be in school for decades.

The vast majority of Controls Engineering expertise comes from good old-fashioned experience. I've been heavy into automation for about six years. The degree I have is an Associate's in Drafting. Everything I learned about PLC control I learned through practical experience in the field. No college class could ever replace that, and that's why I can get a job like my current one without having the Bachelor's, because quite frankly I know a lot more than someone fresh out of college who's never worked with it in a practical setting.

What the degree will do for you is get your foot in the door in certain places. It will give you access to an environment where you can build your skills with experience. Having that background knowledge of electronics will help a little, but there is no substitute for actually doing the job.

I agree with all the advice so far. Also, as you stated, with the electronics, you can still go on for a Bachelors if need be. With that stated, if you have any options in courses, the computer stuff can be very helpful. Things I have found very valuable. A+, Network+ Certificates, I also have a Microsoft Certified Professional Cert, which has helped in setting up windows. Otherwise, an AutoCAD course, and a general programming course. I had pascal in High School, which no one will ever ask me to use, but it taught programming techniques, which I still rely on.

Overall, I think that most employers, will be looking for the electrical end of things for hiring. Very few Automation jobs are just programming. And I have never heard good things about the computer programmers, who HR decides can program a PLC.

thank everybody for the replies.
I'm not concerned as much as what program will make me a better plc guy, but more of what Erik help me get that dream job as a controls engineer, or automation engineer. Not to sound arrogant but I'm already in the position to get all the knowledge and experience I'll need for plc,s. I'm usually in a plc daily. I jus want to find which degree would go best with my background. Thanks for all the help!