OT: Ever had your computer destroyed?

Not a laptop, but the old Samsung flip phones were so strong. I jumped into a pool with the phone in my pocket, and I put it in rice for like a month, and all of a sudden it came back alive!! Worked for like 3 more years after that. Funny enough, the exact day I bought my first smart phone was the exact same day the flip phone completely blipped out and died. Those were the days man, those were the days.

not sure if you're referring to the joke or not but I've been told, put your wet electronics in a bowl of rice.
It will attract an Asian who will come at night and fix it for you.

Haha, that's a funny joke, I will remember it.

But yes, I kept it in rice for one week, check it, it was still bad, but then I left it in the rice and eventually, my mom came to me and gave me the phone and it just magically started working again. I'm guessing the rice soaked up the water out of the phone somehow. Maybe this will work on smartphones too, who knows.

I shot 100 psi water in the earhole of my trusty Dell E5540 laptop a few weeks ago. We quickly yanked the battery and dried it out but it is now visually impaired and lost one ear (the right rear USB port). It seems to have suffered no dain bramage and I can still use it with an external monitor. The built in display is not working (I can see a very faint shadow of the graphics, but it is almost black).

I was working in a cramped little pump house and didn't get my tall table in there. Instead I had it set up on a short little work table they already had. There was a tiny leak in a fitting to a pressure sensor. The operator went to tighten the fitting (ball valve to a tee with an open port). He moved the valve handle slightly off the closed position to clear an obstacle as he tightened the assembly and that is when the incident occurred.

I was not looking forward to running Windoze 10, but here I am in 2019 surfing the bleeding edge on a new laptop against my will.

Last edited:
After loosing more than a few computers some destroyed other just needed operating system reinstalled. I keep a 128G USB Flash drive in all the time working data is in it. use the dongle for activations. then on a regular bases I back my data up to my cloud drive
I also keep my install files on my cloud just in case I have a catastrophic failure I just reload the operating system and download and reinstall the programs I need. the Flash drive will have all my working data ready to go. it's save me many times.