Studio 5000 Crash Dump

padees

Studio 5000 Crash Dump
Hi all,
Just wondering if any of you ever had this situation and possible cure.

It was driving me a bit crazy as to the cause of my C: SSD memory being eating up in big chunks every day. I was constantly cleaning things up and deleting restore points, but it just got worse. I was down to 37GB free yesterday, which I cleaned it up enough to have 62GB free the prior week.

I installed some free software that looks at file type size… and bang, 67+GB of crash dump files from Studio 5000.

There were 18 files from View Designer from last year when I did a project with a PV5500. Since then, I’ve left that company and transferred activation files to a dongle for them.

New place bought me the software I activated on this machine and installed V32 on January 15th. That is when the crash dump files started again, but every so often.

Early May, there was an Office 365 update. My account and email are still active from previous employer in case they need some help, but that also seems to be when the free space started to diminish on a more noticeable scale.

A couple weeks after that, the new place bought me a new laptop. I installed software and transferred activation files to that. I have not used that laptop since, due to no need. I have also not used, even in grace period, Studio 5000, even tho it is still installed on this machine.

Another thing is that a couple weeks ago I had to go back to an earlier version of RSLinx due to an old PV we have that needed a few tweaks. This is about when the crash dumps became more prolific.

So, basically right now, every time I boot this laptop, Studio 5000 creates a healthy crash dump file that eats hard drive space.

I do plan on nuking this puter to factory defaults and start over soon. Also, will be buying another laptop and my own Lic to S5K…

Anyway, maybe someone else is having or had this issue or maybe someone down the road runs into it…

Two new dump files created yesterday and today. I did open one in Notepad++ and it's mostly the word NULL for 1.6 million lines with a few spattering's of text here and there.

Studio 5000 Crash Dumps 1.jpg Studio 5000 Crash Dumps 2.jpg Studio 5000 Crash Dumps 3.jpg

Studio 5000 Crash Dump
Another thing is that a couple weeks ago I had to go back to an earlier version of RSLinx due to an old PV we have that needed a few tweaks. This is about when the crash dumps became more prolific.

I can't be sure that this is the cause of your problems, but much experience with Rockwell software says "Never install an older version on top of a newer version."
Actually if you think about it, this is a general Microsoft problem. The Microsoft installer usually does a good job of updating existing software your new software package needs. However, putting things back to what works for older versions is a much more complex problem.

If I need an older version of RSLinx, this is where VMs shine. Install it fresh on new VM. No risk to my existing installed software.

Actually, I'll go even further. I very rarely will install *any* Rockwell, or Siemens, or Wonderware software directly on my PC. It all goes on VMs. Different ones for each brand. Different ones for different versions. That way they all stay out of each other's way and I don't risk everything each time I install one more piece of software.