RSLinx issue?

mike3475

Good morning, Guys:
I have maybe stupid question about RSLinx Classic, I saw so many devices showed red cross mark in RSLINX in VM where Studio 5000 and RSlinx classic installed in our VPN, but those devices are physical working fine in the machine in our plant.
I remembered a while ago I installed CCW in that VM,since CCW asked to install RSLinx, so i just installed everything CCW wants, later the RSLINX showed empty (no device connected), then i started to add all PLC controllers in RSLinx. all PLC controllers showed good icon without yellow question mark, but when i added some devices in RSLinx, they showed unrecognized device with red cross mark.
I think i can fix that problem by adding EDS file for those device showing red cross mark.
My question is those red cross mark really give the communication issue or not?
thanks!

Last edited:
when i go to online with all PLCs with studio5000, all PLCs showed good communication and all devices connected without yellow triangle mark.

The yellow question mark indicates RSLinx cannot identify the device. This may require adding the EDS file for the affected device.

The Red "X" means your computer cannot talk to that device. It does NOT mean the device isn't working.

For example if you browse an Ethernet network and all devices have red "X", then the problem is likely with your PC. If one device has a red "X" then it is likely an issue with that device. This is not a hard and fast rule, just a general first step in troubleshooting.

Can you clarify what you mean by

.....but when i added some devices in RSLinx

Are you talking about adding devices to the Ethernet devices driver, or something else?

OG

i manually added many ethernet devices which showed up in the IO tree in studio 5000 to RSLinx ,since they were gone by installed new RSLinx.
some of them showed full icon without any mark, some of them showed unrecognized device with red cross mark.

OK so we are talking about Ethernet. So the next step is to see if the computer can ping one of the devices. If ping doesn't work, then neither will RSLinx.

In Windows open a Command (DOS) Prompt and type ping followed by the IP address to test then press Enter. For example: ping 192.168.1.12

You want to see four "Reply From" messages. Sometimes the first one or two can fail and then the remaining attempts will succeed. If you do it again, then all four should succeed.

We can go with your results to determine the next step.

• A Red X on a Yellow Question Mark would mean we cannot identify what that device is AND we cannot communicate with it. This isn't an EDS issue yet. Get rid of the Red "X" issue and see if the Yellow Question Mark remains.
  • If you saw an icon for a module and a red "X" that would mean that we have talked with, and identified the device before, but we cannot talk to it now.
  • A Yellow Question Mark would mean we can talk with the device but we cannot identify it. This is usually the situation when getting an EDS is required.

OG

Last edited:
i ping all ethernet devices in studio5000 io tree, all got no lost info.
thanks for your info, now i got clear about red cross mark meaning in rslinx.
i just did add a few ethernet devices with red cross mark in rslinx with EDS file, they showed good icons now without any mark.
Thanks everyone!

Good. Just be aware the Red "X" has nothing to do with an EDS file. I can enter an IP address for a printer and have that show up in RSLinx without a Red "X".

OG