Citect SCADA - WIN 911 integration

Bugger! They should have fixed the database issue first - I first raised this about 5 years before Schneider bought Citect.

back to the original topic, win911 isnt a great alternative unless you are doing a direct connect, and I doubt that citect is supported outside of using opc. the main issue is that you cannot attach the alarm setpoints in win911 to the actual setpoints in your program. so lets say you have a pressure with a psh and a psl. you can manually enter those setpoints in win911 but you cannot specify to use a tag as a setpoint when using opc. so if your customer changes the setpoint in the hmi, he will have to shutdown win911, make the change then start win911 back up.

**disclaimer** its been a few years since I last implemented win911, so they may have changed this.

I use Ignition, which uses skype as the callout function. More softwares should implement this type of system.

We have our own code for emailing and SMS in Citect but we needed the voice dialler functionality. So we are currently in the process of testing some third party software products.

As other has mentioned you need to use OPC with Win911 which is a pain especially in an enterprise environment, we are trialling a couple of packages and the best integration into Citect we have found is a product called ScadaPhone from SCADAtec, it uses CTAPI to integrate which is fairly seamless. It’s not too bad on functionality all though our requirements are not that complex.

Both Win911 and Scadaphone are available for download and free trial. Since data integration and reliability was the number 1 priority we pulled the plug on Win911 early but if you have any questions about ScadaPhone I might be able to answer them.

Hi Andrew,

bugger, i just took delivery of WIN911, in hindsight i made the mistake of asking Schneider what they recommended for this and they said WIN911 !

i have since found out win 911 is a partner of Schneider products. i was looking at SCADAphone as well but made the decision on win 911, i now regret this.

thanks for the info. keep me posted on how you get on.

I asked Schneider for alternatives to Win911 and they suggested ScadaPhone, but that is of no use to you now.

If you can I would look at installing Win911 on your Citect server machine (Standby if you have a redundant system) which will reduce the OPC issues.

Yes I will report back on ScadaPhone if i remeber, might help someone else out in the future. We have been running our trial close to a week so far without issue.

ok will do, as i do have a redundant system ! i am kicking myself now as i should have waited or done more research, i cannot send it back as it will be an embarrassment for a few people myself included.

I'm sure it will be OK, just make sure you have some heartbeat monitoring between the 2 systems to monitor for dropped connections. From the Win911 OPC manual.
“Typically, the OPC server must be running before WIN-911 can establish a connection. If at any time WIN-911 loses its connection to the OPC server, WIN-911 must be restarted to establish the connection again.”

For what it's worth now, we use this and it works perfectly, redundant connection too.....

When I used Citect I used smsserver as well. No big issues.

That’s good to know for simple emailing and SMS which probably would have suited EICS. I have seen that application in the toolbox but never tried it. Uses CTAPI as well.

I just wish they would have one database with a spreadsheet type layout so that one can see what is attached to what. for example, tags with alarms and trends attached to the tags all on the one page in spreadsheet form and continuous and one shot monitoring of all the points - the one thing I really liked about FIX.
Hopefully should be in the next release, massive GUI makeover to try and make all products uniform so they tell us which will have a spreadsheet type component within the GUI. They showed us a running version of the current snapshot at a developer roadshow late last year looking for feedback. Apparently the aim is to try and get all the framework the same for all products so they can take functions that want from each product easier.

Great to hear - and SCADAPhone works well by the way. have not tried the other one.

I can second ScadaPhone as a good solution. I used it as part of a Citect upgrade last year and it worked well thanks to CtApi compatibility. The client also requested a feature that ScadaPhone did not support at the time, so I passed the request on to the developer and he integrated it into ScadaPhone the very next week. That alone gave me a very good impression.

That’s good to know for simple emailing and SMS which probably would have suited EICS. I have seen that application in the toolbox but never tried it. Uses CTAPI as well.

Hopefully should be in the next release, massive GUI makeover to try and make all products uniform so they tell us which will have a spreadsheet type component within the GUI. They showed us a running version of the current snapshot at a developer roadshow late last year looking for feedback. Apparently the aim is to try and get all the framework the same for all products so they can take functions that want from each product easier.

Toolbox ? Its a 3rd party application, not in the toolbox.

finally finished my Citect SCADA V7.5 upgrade (new hardware servers, O/S and versions including multiple bugs and workarounds for a project that was originally written in 1995) and now looking into the WIN911 Citect messaging. any one else have experience on this.

as a plant Electrician, my learning curve is steep, hoping some SI's on here can guide me in about a week or so.