Upgraded FactoryTalk View to 8.2 . Worked fine yesterday . Cannot start RS Linx today

Rob S.

Good Afternoon,

Just upgraded FactoryTalk View to 8.2 . Worked great the last 2 days. Opened another application it asked if I wanted it in 8.2 , I said yes. Tried to download to HMI , and no RS Linx . I can't even open RS Linx . I searched threads , and seen a lot of RS Linx issues but nothing like this. I was able to work with RS Logix 5000 , and go online. Is FactoryTalk View and RS Logix using different RS Linx packages ? Restarted the laptop , and same thing.

Thanks in advance

Is FactoryTalk View and RS Logix using different RS Linx packages ?

Yes. FactoryTalk View uses "RSLinx Enterprise" as its data server and for upload/download to PanelView Plus terminals.

RSLogix and Studio 5000 Logix Designer use "RSLinx Classic", the one with the standalone launcher and GUI that's been around since the 1990's.

So take a step back and see if you can open good old RSLinx Classic from your Start menu.

No , Classic will not open either. But at the moment I am on line with RS Logix 5000. It seems like it would need to be open in the background, correct ?

It sometimes runs as a service, hence no gui. I don't know why, but you still have it in your start menu and click it.

Last edited:
2016-08-16 16_09_34-RSLogix 5000 [Running] - Oracle VM VirtualBox _ 1.png
Now I remember, you need to use the RSlinx Classic Launch Control Panel.

Click Stop, untick "Always Run as Service" and click Start.

GUI should be back

I think it is a major RS Linx Enterprise problem. I talked with Rockwell Support
and we thought we had it fixed. I am missing all the communication links on all my FactoryTalk View applications. I select Communication Setup......

I get .......
RS Linx Enterprise Configuration Wizard
O Create a new configuration
O Copy an existing configuration
O Copy the configuration that is currently running on this application

When I select finish , I get.......

FactoryTalk Directory Connect Failed
I click ok and I get........

Unable To Communicate with the RS Linx Enterprise Server 'Local Host'

I click ok , and my Communication Setup closes.

It worked fine yesterday. I have no clue what happened. I went to download an application using Transfer Utility , and took notice my path was missing. So depressing .

Any thoughts are so much appreciated.

They should ship that software with a 40oz speaker magnet and a coupon for Jack Daniels. When it bombs out, strap the magnet to your hard drive and leave for the nearest liquor store.

[/rant]

Have you looked in FactoryBalk Diagnostics for clues? Sometimes there is enough detail in the diagnostic log files to point you to a root cause.

Is RS Linx Enterprise embedded in FactoryTalk View , somehow ? How come you
cannot open RS Linx Enterprise , like you can RS Linx Classic ?

Is RS Linx Enterprise embedded in FactoryTalk View , somehow ? How come you
cannot open RS Linx Enterprise , like you can RS Linx Classic ?

Essentially, yes. This is because Rockwell would prefer your PC to be burdened by launching 453,292,122 other things before actually getting work done.

For your situation, back up your projects, and uninstall all the software and try a reinstall. If it's quicker (most probably), just reinstall Windows and start again.

Or purge the blight altogether and get a Mac, VMWare Fusion, place anything Rockwell-related on a virtual machine, then be done with it. (I highly recommend installing any software with "FactoryTalk" in its title in a VM, with a snapshot for good measure. Specifically, View Studio.)

Last edited:
Yeah, at this point I recommend re-installation for sure.

You dont need a mac, but do create a virtual machine.

I like virtualbox, some like vmware, just dont use the microsoft one.

So that way when you have problems, you can create a new windows install without actually formatting your PC.

yeah FTView, rslinx enterprise is built-in so I doubt you can only re-install that.

Do complete un-install 1st of course.

I had problems with RSLinx before and nothing was working anymore.

Now I keep RSLogix/Studio on one VM and FTView in another VM.

That way when fiddlig around FTView and something goes wrong, it doesn't affect my RSLogix.

Also when programming, it plays better with a dual monitor setup, windows won't open on the wrong screen all the time.

One screen for FTView, one for RSLogix... causes a lot less frustrations.