Socket MSGs via ethernet port

grucuus

Hi,
I am trying to write an app in LabVIEW, where I can send CIP frames to EN2T module that represents socket MSGs. I'm using Send RR Data command with proper Class and Instance IDs for socket MSGs. And it's not working :confused: , I get a CIP response saying "Path segment error". I've read then that those MSGs must be send via backplane and cannot access the module via ethernet port, but is there a way to bypass it somehow :unsure: ? Thank you

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

In general, "socket messaging" with the 1756-EN2T refers to manually-coded protocols that are not CIP.

You do need the CIP path to access the Backplane (port 1) and the Slot (Slots 0-16) of the ControlLogix.

The modern CompactLogix and the 1756-L8xE controllers with an integrated Ethernet port can use the Ethernet module as the endpoint of the CIP path, but the ControlLogix CPU's without an integrated Ethernet port need that last path segment.