Panel View GoTO Buttons

petro62

Alright I am using and Allen Bradly Panel View with PanelView Builder at school, sorry I don't know the versions or anything. My question is just out of curiousity, because nor I or my proffesor have figured it out. Is there a way to make GoTo buttons activate something on your ladder logic program. Seeing as how you can't give it an input address I don't know how, but it sure would be nice beause then if you could that you could also make input buttons switch screens instead of using GoTo buttons which clutter the screen. Just something to think about.

I don't think that you will be able to use the GOTO button to activate anything in the ladder logic. The reaon is that the GOTO button does not have a PLC logical address associated with it. It's only function is in the PanelView.

If you find that you can Please post that information here.

But your question raises another...Why would you want to? You can already create a button to do any thing you want.

You can configure two tags that relate to Screen Number in the PanelBuilder32 application. There's a Status Screen Number tag, and a Control Screen Number tag.

These are set up in the Application Settings folder in PanelBuilder32.

The PanelView writes the current screen number to the Status Screen Number tag. In that way you might be able to have ladder logic act on a PanelView's GO TO buttons.

The PanelView reads a value from the Control Screen Number address. If it's a zero, the PanelView has control over it's own screen changes (using GOTO and RETURN buttons). If the address value is nonzero, the PanelView changes to that screen number.

Usually that feature is used to allow the PanelView to show a particular screen in response to an unusual machine condition. You can use the two tags in conjunction, instead of using GOTO and RETURN buttons, but then the PanelView won't be able to navigate if the controller is offline, which is sometimes tough during commissioning.

FROM KEN
Usually that feature is used to allow the PanelView to show a particular screen in response to an unusual machine condition. You can use the two tags in conjunction, instead of using GOTO and RETURN buttons, but then the PanelView won't be able to navigate if the controller is offline, which is sometimes tough during commissioning.

Whenever we have the proc. in prog. not run or not connected the panelview keeps giving errors across the top. Is there a way to prvent this?

Drewcrew6

Ken is correct, I have done just what you are speaking of many times.

You can elect to have the PLC control your screens and have the PanelView report its screen number to the PLC. Those elections are in the Panelview configuration function.

Roger

drew wrote:
Whenever we have the proc. in prog. not run or not connected the panelview keeps giving errors across the top. Is there a way to prvent this?
I don't think so. But, then again, isn't it nice to know why your panelview pushbuttons are not reacting to your presses?

A while back I learned the subtleties (sp?) of combining PLC driven and Operator Driven screen changes. The answer his buried in Ken's answer:
If it's a zero, the PanelView has control over it's own screen changes (using GOTO and RETURN buttons). If the address value is nonzero, the PanelView changes to that screen number.
Now, if you want it both ways, When you are done with your plc screen change, you have to put a zero back into the Screen Number Control Tag address when your PLC directed change is complete.

To do this I define the Screen Number Status Tag as SCRN_DISP and the Screen Num Control Tag as SCRN_REQ. Then add the following to the ladder.

+-----------------+ +--------------+
-----| EQU SCRN_REQ |---------[OSR]-------------| MOV 0 |
| SCRN_DISP | | SCRN_REQ |
+-----------------+ +--------------+

So if you need some screen to be controlled by the PLC for instance due to conditions required before changing to that screen you can do it and for the simple changes just use GOTO buttons or screen selector lists so you don't have to program every single screen change.

When you want a screen change in the PLC, MOV the screen number into the adderss for the SCRN_REQ tag. The PLC will change to the requested screen and set SCRN_DISP to match. Then your ladder will see that SCRN_REQ and SCRN_DISP are equal and plunk a 0 back into the SCRN_REQ address to allow for operator changes.

enjoy
beerchug