Omron PLC - Serial to ETHERNET/IP

plaracFD

Hi,
I need get some data from a Omron PLC, model SYSMAC C200HX, this is an old plc that only have a serial port RS-232C. The fact is I need to convert and pass the serial data to ethernet/ip (from the plc to the pc). For this I found the advantech device ADAM-4571 that can get the data from serial (RS-232 and RS-485 and RS-422) and pass into ethernet/ip. The pc will have a OPC Server that will map the ip. In theory I think this can work, but could happen some complications? or the data will not be corrupted? Someone can share any experience in a similar case?.

Thanks an regards.

The ADAM-4571 looks like a typical Ethernet-RS232 converter. The PC will have a driver loaded create a virtual COM port. Using that virtual COM port, you should be able to access the PLC just the same as if you are directly connected to the PLC with an RS232 port.

What software will you use to fetch the data from the PLC?

Some OPC servers (I know KEPWare, maybe Matrikon), has Ethernet Encapsulation built into their Host Link Driver. No virtual COM port needed.

In my case I use Matrikon OPC Server, so in my scenario the Omron Host Link protocol would be encapsulated into Ethernet by the adam 4571 and the OPC Server could read the data by the encapsulation. My fear is that in the encapsulation, the data would be corrupted or the OPC Aplication would not read correctly the data :(

Some OPC servers (I know KEPWare, maybe Matrikon), has Ethernet Encapsulation built into their Host Link Driver. No virtual COM port needed.

The encapsulation is just a wrapper around the serial data , just like a virtual Com port would be. The data itself doesn't change.

Look at it like a letter. The OPC server writes a letter to the PLC. It could be read a value. It could be write a value. It could be asking "How ya doing?"

Ethernet encapsulation is the envelope the letter goes into. It has the address of the Adam Module. The Adam Module opens the letter, removing the envelope, and hands it to the PLC.

When the PLC responds, it happens all over again.