Favorite Panelview Plus 7 Alternative?

JZerb

Looking to step away from the PVP hardware but not AB software. Its what customers request so thats just not usually an option. Wondering what the best options are for doing that? Hope Industrial monitor with (insert thin client option here) and then run SE or even just ME on said PC? All in one touch screen panel pc, for example like what AdvancedHMI offers?

I tried running ME on an industrial PC and constantly had issues, it was really fun explaining to a customer that they would have to exit to the windows environment and run a batch file to rebuild the database so they could use their machine on a regular basis.

I'm sure there's 5 million available "fixes" or 20 patches created since then. Maybe other people with better experiences can give better advice

Go with Weintek. The HMI's are pretty simple to design and they have AB drivers built in for ease-of-use. There are lots of other options, but in my evaluation of different HMI platforms last summer, they tended to be my favorite.

Do note that there is no phone support and the documentation sucks. It is very dry and hard to understand at times, however most of what you end up needing is in there, and once you get their "design philosophy" down, they do a good job of sticking to it, so it becomes pretty intuitive, and is pretty close to the methods used in FactoryTalk ME.

Go with Weintek.

I was going to recommend them also but then re-read the post

JZerb said:
step away from the PVP hardware but not AB software. Its what customers request

I remember way back when I was a little tot and just started in the industry... someone told me dont be afraid to turn work away, you will make more money in the end, at that time I did not understand it very well, 20 years later I do now understand, not all projects are made for me.

BlueAltezza said:
constantly had issues, it was really fun explaining to a customer

Been there a few times with projects that I still have nightmares about.

I think I would ask them why do they want to get away from AB hardware, unless they are mass producing machines the hardware is a small cost and is worth a few extra dollars if they have them in place.

I remember way back when I was a little tot and just started in the industry... someone told me dont be afraid to turn work away, you will make more money in the end, at that time I did not understand it very well, 20 years later I do now understand, not all projects are made for me.

As much as I'd like to, its not my position to shove that down the customers throats unfortunately. Also, being most of my companies customers are Pharma, its either Allen Bradley or its not even accepted in most cases.

I was going to recommend them also but then re-read the post

I just re-read that post, too. Dur dur. Yea, the only other option is an industrial PC. I would suggest trying to use windows LTSB on it as well. These advantecs are pretty decent. We used them with Hope touchscreen monitors:

https://www.advantech.com/products/fanless-embedded-computers/sub_1-2jkeuf

One piece of advice I will give you is to learn to use gpedit.msc to tweak the windows system for the HMI purpose.

As much as I'd like to, its not my position to shove that down the customers throats unfortunately. Also, being most of my companies customers are Pharma, its either Allen Bradley or its not even accepted in most cases.

Just make sure you add extra for the un-mentioned phone calls and support that may be needed... and don't shove anything on a customer they are still our customers, I just prefer to tell them I don't think we are a good match and find a customer that will be happy in the end, it maybe their idea but if it fails its your fault.

Not that I don't think it can be done, its just over my pay rate and too much headache for me, it maybe easy for someone else and i'm sure someone like Ken or Archie they can do it in their sleep, but I look at it like the wheel is made, its round and just sitting there... why should I re-invent it?

the first thing I would do is find out what the environment rating is.
AB panelview terminals have a Class1, div2, class 2 div 2 rating (going from memory). that's why the cost is a lot higher. their components workbench terminals do not and that is why they cost so much less.

james

the first thing I would do is find out what the environment rating is.
AB panelview terminals have a Class1, div2, class 2 div 2 rating (going from memory). that's why the cost is a lot higher. their components workbench terminals do not and that is why they cost so much less.

james

usually im just looking for a Class2 Div2 rating. If a project comes along that we need something more with a higher rating, like say an XP system, i would just go to the P&F screens and get the intrinsically safe option.