RS Logix Project help (Garage door opener)

mihika2703

Hi Everyone. Could you please help me out with this project. I have three tests and this project due within 5 days. I have no idea where to start.

Apply the knowledge of programmable logic control and industrial control systems to develop a control system for an automated garage door opener. You have been assigned the responsibility to develop the sequence of activities that are needed to successfully operate the garage door opener and to prepare a PLC program to monitor and control these activities. Details of the operations of the garage system are shown as follows.
The various activities involved in the operation of a garage door control system include the following:
1. The garage door is opened or closed using push-button switches X1, or remote control X2 and X3.
2. Depressing X1, X2, or X3 will open the garage door if it is closed, or close it if it is open.
3. To open the garage door, the opener motor should turn counter-clockwise (i.e., output Y1 is activated).
4. To close the garage door, the motor should turn clockwise (i.e., output Y2 is activated).
5. Energizing outputs Y1 and Y2 simultaneously will stall the opener motor and therefore they should NOT be simultaneously activated.
6. There are two limit switches that indicate fully open (X4) or fully closed (X5) status of the door.
7. The two limit switches (X4 and X5) are also used to stop the motor while closing or opening.
8. Excess load on the motor (while running) is detected by input X6.
9. The garage door reverses its direction upon detecting an overload (X6).
10. The garage light (output Y3) will go ON and stay ON when the garage door is being opened or closed. The garage light Y3 will remains ON until 10 seconds after the completion of the garage door-opening or the door-closing process.
11. A photo-sensor (X7) is used to detect obstacles during garage door closing (only). During the garage door-closing, if an object passes the door to trigger the photo- sensor X7, it will reverse the closing of the garage door and also sounds an alarm (output Y4).

Using RSLogix, develop the corresponding programming code for the mentioned operations of the garage door control system and realize them in the RSLogix programming software:
(Note: for defining the timer, create a tag and select timer as the data type. When the timer finishes timing, the output is tagname.DN)

All help is highly appreciated. Lots of virtual hugs.

Start with this

Let's begin.
1 write down your scope of work, what is it that you need.
2. write a sequence of events in general terms.
3. review your notes.
4. rewrite your sequence and this time add sensors, motors.
5. review your notes.
6. write down your I/o.
7. rewrite your sequence and this time add the sensors and motors.
in this step, you are the operator and also the plc looking for the I/o to be made.
This is the starting point for all projects. Once you have done this, start with one output and work backwards until you have accounted for the conditions needed to make it true. Then move on to the next output.

Now lets see what you can do.

Bubba.
“Now will come the nay-sayers with all the reasons why you shouldn't do this. Some of them are teachers, and some of us are doers. Besides, you have got to let the smoke out of this equipment every now and then, or it starts to clog up the chimney.”
~Lancie1

Five days is more than enough time to write a program for this process. A seasoned programmer could knock one out in about 15 minutes. So don't panic!

Follow Bubba's advice and give us an attempt at a program so that we have something to work with as far as suggestions and guidance. We won't do your homework for you, but a lot of the members are happy to help guide you through it.

Create tags for your inputs and outputs, and then pick a point that makes sense to start from. Maybe the door being closed. Then start to write the program for how you would open the door based on the requirements. You have three inputs that can engage the door opening. A limit switch will tell you when to stop. Just create it one piece at a time and then post your results either in PDF form or by zipping the program and uploading it.

For steps 1 and 2, here is a link to another example in the Downloads Section for alternating the input to be used for either opening or closing. Still not the complete answer. This link and the other one I posted, plus some of the other files in the Downloads Section, will provide you with many pieces of the program.

Link:
http://www.plcs.net/downloads/index.php?action=downloadfile&filename=LogixPro%20ALTERNATOR%20METHODS.rsl&directory=Allen_Bradley&

Edit: What harryting posted is so very true, Google can provide the translation, if needed.

Last edited:
Bonus points:

What happens if you press X1,X2 or X3 while the door is opening or closing?
What if you want to stop the door in any position other than fully open or fully closed?
What happens if an overload is detected as the door is opening?

Bonus points:

What happens if you press X1,X2 or X3 while the door is opening or closing?
What if you want to stop the door in any position other than fully open or fully closed?
What happens if an overload is detected as the door is opening?

Answer to Q3 is part of the problem

OP, these can be overwhelming at first but breathe deep and logically work through the steps.
You are basically going to have 5 lines of code, one for opening and one for closing, one for garage light, one for alarm, one for timer.
Add in all these outputs and then populate the rungs depending on what starts and stops the motor using Bubba's method above.