TFView Numeric field leading 0

TIA5000

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with numeric field in FactoryTalk View:

Operator has to enter 4digit code, it may be between 0000 and 9999.
Using numeric field he can enter values between 0 and 9999. It is impossible to show leading zeroes on the display or enter them using displayed numeric keyboard.

Value still can be stored as 0-9999 integer.

How can I properly fix this issue?

In the Numeric Input properties under appearance there is a radio button for leading characters but I dont know if this will translate when an operator inputs a number. If the 0 gets truncated when sent to the PLC. I would believe that it does.

FTView ME.

I cannot find this radio button.
I can choose min and max values (0-9999 in this case) but nothing about leading characters.

From the label tab, you can insert the variable. You should get a popup similar to the picture I have attached. I have dropped the menu that shows how to insert "Fill left with:" I do not know if the operator will see the leading zeroes when they enter the integer, but it should display correctly when they press enter. My version is likely older than yours, but it should be similar enough.

FillLeftWith.PNG

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Is there also any way to let operator input this leading zeros?
Right now he has to input 12 in order to see 0012 on the panel. No way to start from 0.

If you need them to actually enter leading zeroes and have them display as you type them (instead of just in the numeric field once they hit enter) then you might need to use a string entry field instead. Have them enter the value as a string, then convert it to an integer in the PLC.

Of course, that has disadvantages too: instead of the numeric keypad popup they'll get the whole keyboard, so it's less user friendly to enter your number. And there's nothing to stop them putting letters in as well as numbers, so you'd have to have some way of handling an invalid entry.

It all comes down to what's the most important - being able to enter and see the leading zeroes, or making it as idiot-proof as possible.

Entering in leading zeroes is confusing and not normal.
Well, sure it's normal, if you're e.g. entering a SKU or a barcode which is always a set number of characters and sometimes starts with one or more leading zeroes. If an operator is trying to type in the SKU on a box next to them that reads "002730", and if they try to type the zeroes and they don't show up, there can definitely be confusion about whether or not that matters. In that case I always treat the value as a string, rather than a number.

I mean, there are definitely far more situations where entering leading zeroes is unusual and unnecessary, but there are certainly some where it's not.

Well, sure it's normal, if you're e.g. entering a SKU or a barcode which is always a set number of characters and sometimes starts with one or more leading zeroes. If an operator is trying to type in the SKU on a box next to them that reads "002730", and if they try to type the zeroes and they don't show up, there can definitely be confusion about whether or not that matters. In that case I always treat the value as a string, rather than a number.

I mean, there are definitely far more situations where entering leading zeroes is unusual and unnecessary, but there are certainly some where it's not.

In his example, no it is not normal.