Everyones favorite schematic drawing software?

Hi Elcan,
Now that is excellent Support service, I must say.
I told ya! :)
There are mostly 2 pieces of electrical/automation software that I love: Red Lion Crimson and SkyCAD.
The problem with Crimson is that they are not very open to feature requests, even though their tech support is superb.
SkyCAD, so far, is the best combination of tech support and being open to customers' feature requests. And the software itself is at another level above the competition.

George - The Rise of SkyCADer
That was good! LOL

Okay, you all convinced me, I am downloading SkyCAD. Seems like something actually designed around automation and controls work.

The licensing model is by far the most disappointing. I am hoping this is just something they are doing while in development.

I know other companies charge for updates if you buy the package. But you still own the software. If I subscribed, and SkyCAD decided next year to double the price, I must pay or lose access. This would be inconvenient if I commit my company to a new workflow.

If SkyCAD can commit to no price raises for active subscribers, or at least limit them to inflation, I would be far more interested in the Advanced or Pro versions.

Really excited however to try it out.

Okay, you all convinced me, I am downloading SkyCAD. Seems like something actually designed around automation and controls work.

The licensing model is by far the most disappointing. I am hoping this is just something they are doing while in development.

I know other companies charge for updates if you buy the package. But you still own the software. If I subscribed, and SkyCAD decided next year to double the price, I must pay or lose access. This would be inconvenient if I commit my company to a new workflow.

If SkyCAD can commit to no price raises for active subscribers, or at least limit them to inflation, I would be far more interested in the Advanced or Pro versions.

Unless you do absolutely nothing but brand-spanking new designs, you will need some kind of cad editor anyway - so don't forget that part. I share your concerns - but make sure you remember to export EVERYTHING To cad if you get a subscription. They lock the export function into the pay category.

At least then you will have your designs to use in a cad editor.

You'll be happy you tried it. Most of the other CAD packages are "dumb". SkyCAD is a "smart" software, where everything is not just a bunch of lines and shapes, but you are working with a database in the background.

I felt the same about subscription software a few years ago. I was used to the perpetual license model, like Microsoft Office used to be. But look now, you have Office 365, it's a subscription model. AutoCAD is by subscription only. This is the trend now, for good or for bad. Actually, you still had to pay for upgrading to the latest version with the perpetual licenses, so that was kind of a subscription model in disguise.

I don't think any of the subscription model companies are going to get crazy about pricing, because people will just stop using their product.

You'll be even more excited once you tried it out!

Ot

I felt the same about subscription software a few years ago....

Any business that can seems to use this model now. I call it the heroin dealer model: they give away the hardware (needles, cell phone, printer) and initial product (heroin, first X minutes/month, printer cartridge) to get the mark hooked on how it makes their life "seem" better (or at least not worth living without), and then have an ongoing customer for the product long enough to cover the freebie plus profit.