1769-L33ERM Unrecognized Device

cldarling

I'm attempting to install and program a new 1769-L33ERM processor and I can't get RSlinx to recognize the device and cannot go online in Studio 5000.

I assigned its IP address using BOOTP then subsequently disabled BOOTP. Flashed the firmware to 24.011 then rebooted. The processor shows up in RSlinx as unrecognized. The last L33ERM I set up works fine but I double checked the EDS. It shows it needs 0001000E006E18XX.EDS so I registered 0001000E006E1800.EDS again with no luck. I double and triple checked that my IP addresses match. I can ping the processor with no problem.

Processor indicators show OK - Solid, Link 2 - active, NS - flashing green showing no CIP connections but I don't know what that means.

Just figuring this out on my own as I go and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

What version of Rslinx are you using ?
Are you sure that the IP address is compatible with your mask.
How is your plc connected to your PC.
Can you ping your PLC ??

RSlinx is 3.71.00 CPR 9 SR 7.1. The IPs I'm using are computer - 192.168.21.10 with mask 255.255.255.0 and the Processor is 192.168.21.4. I'm connected to Link 2 through a Stratix 2000 Unmaned Ethernet Switch using a straight through cable. I can ping the processor at 192.168.21.4 with 0% packet loss and 1ms avg round trip time. I was able to flash the firmware no problem using this setup.

I can also access the processors web server using that IP as well and it shows:

Device Name 1769-L33ERM/A LOGIX5333ERM
Device Description
Device Location
Ethernet Address (MAC) F4:54:33:96:B2:55
IP Address 192.168.21.4
Product Revision 24.011 Build 10
Firmware Version Date Sep 19 2014, 20:38:30
Serial Number 608A8510
Uptime 00h:31m:17s

Network Interface
Ethernet Address (MAC): F4:54:33:96:B2:55
IP Address: 192.168.21.4
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Name Resolution: DNS Disabled

Ethernet Port 2
Interface State: Enabled
Link Status :Active
Speed: 100 Mbps
Duplex: Full Duplex
Autonegotiate Status: Autonegotiate Speed and Duplex

Last edited:
Tried that a few times. After the "change graphic Image" screen when hitting next, I get "EDS wizard encountered a critical error and must be shut down"

Ok so I have an update. The damn thing started working fine this morning. Downside is I don't know what the problem was in the first place. I shut everything down before leaving last night (I had done this several times before) and when I brought it up this morning It RSlinx was seeing everything and I could go online though it still shows as unrecognized in Studio 5000 so something fishy may still be going on. Before, I couldn't even get online with USB(the computer was seeing the processor but the VBP would not come up in RSlinx) so I'm thinking it was an issue with RSlinx. I didn't change anything from the time it wasn't working yesterday until now so unfortunately I don't know what the ultimate "fix" was. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Ive had this sort of thing happen with bad ethernet cables... they worked for pings and low-level comms but would fall apart when trying to do something more complex. I would replace the cable just to be safe if the problem returns.

Hi,

So, I recently encountered a similar problem with L35E controller. EDS files were missing and while trying to add them I got the message : "EDS wizard encountered a problem and must be shut down."

After a bit of googling and hit and trial, i figured that problem was resolved by un-checking "Run this program in compatibility mode" option which can be accessed by right clicking and going to properties then compatibility.

I un checked the option "Run this program in compatibility mode" and checked the option "Run as administrator"

P.S: I am using win 7 (64 bit), RSLinx Classic (4.00 CPR 9 SR 10.0)