TIA Portal Maths functions

Meyers Mills

Hi Folks
I hope this is not a dumb question,I am a newbie . I want to perform simple math functions like multiplication, addition etc in TIA Portal V15.
I have created a default tag table and called the tags in my Lad diagram. I have a challeng assigning values to the input tags. Help

PLC Input tags (I6.0, IB8, etc) come from the actual devices out in the field, like a pushbutton, level sensor, or motor encoder. You probably shouldn't be assigning values directly to those.

Try to explain what you are attempting to achieve.

If the reason that you want to assign values to inputs is to test some code you have written, then if you are using PLCSIM to test the code, in PLCSIM you can manipulate inputs in a way that is not possible with real inputs.
In order to do this you have to change PLCSIMs display mode from simple mpde to project mode. Then you can find the addresses folder where you can directly change the status of inputs.

Hi Folks
I hope this is not a dumb question,I am a newbie . I want to perform simple math functions like multiplication, addition etc in TIA Portal V15.
I have created a default tag table and called the tags in my Lad diagram. I have a challeng assigning values to the input tags. Help

The tag table doesn't hold any memory as such... so I'd advise that you don't worry about it for now.

Create a Data block with a variety of data types like BOOL, INT and REAL. This is actual memory in the processor that you can use for calculations.

Then in OB1 (for now), put your calculation like add the first INT variable to the second INT variable and transfer it to the third INT variable.

To make the code clearer, sometimes you will have to split the calculation in bits (particularly in FBD or Ladder) and keep the result of hte operation in a variable. Usually I'd put all these calculations in a function (not function block) and create internal temporary variables to hold the temporary values to make the code readable.
But I guess this is a little further ahead for you.

For putting a value in to a tag you use the MOVE instruction. Move is in Basic Instructions / Move Operations. The data type on IN side of the Move should match the data type on the OUT.

You will also want to look at creating DBs to store data rather than just Tags using M memory.

I am using the trial version of Tia Portal v15,I downloaded Plcsim two days later as an afterthought and it been installed. But when I want simulate a project offline, Plcsim becomes unavailable.
I would try again and create a function block and may be try MOVE instruction.

Thanks for your support
Facebook : wise samlafo
Ghana

If you want to change values whilst a program is running in the simulator or PLC you right click a value and select Modify Operand, a popup box appears where you can enter the new value. Or you can create a Watch Table.

You do have to be online with the device for this to work.

Good video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybn1Vpymc0M