Problems with archiving an application (Factory Talk Studio ME ver 5.0)

Yeah, a reboot is usually a good thing to try to clear-up unexplained problems with Rockwell Software. It's done the trick for me quite a few times.

I tried to reboot many times with no change, I think the battery needed to be removed (or in my case run completely dead) in order for the problem to clear.

So if all else fails yank that battery out haha.

I ran into this problem recently. The situation was that originally we had admin rights to our company laptops and all was lovely then due to a recent transition to another company we lost those rights due to new policies. With out admin rights any programs previously worked on could not be archeived as a user. My work around to the problem was to copy the project instead of archeive it and then archeive the copied project then after that the newly archeived project could then be archeived normally.

We now have been given back admin rights on our machines and all is lovely.

p.s. I did try the reboot thing many times before but the copy thing did the trick.

If you have the .MER file and it is also set to allow a full application restore, you can restore the project via the .MER file and then it will allow you to do a backup via the Application Manager.
I had the same issue and thankfully I knew that the .MER file was up to date and that I set it so that it could be used to restore the full application.
Hope this helps.

This thread has some bad information. The MER does include most, but not all data, compared to an APA. One item, ME Runtime 3.2 data in runtime security is not included in the MER. Also, if you are using any of the recent software and try to create an MER 6.0 or earlier, it will not let you restore/allow conversion. So, the APA is still a necessary thing to do. It only takes a few seconds to create, so not worth not doing it!

James

Hey everyone,

Hate to bring up an old thread, but I had this issue and everything in here didn't work. I'm using Windows 10 and FTVS ME V11. What I did to resolve this issue was the following.

Go to the project folder at C:users/Public/Public Documents/RSView Enterprise/ME/HMI Projects/*your Project*/Cache

Here you will see a folder named RDMDATA, delete this folder.

Next go to the project folder at C:users/Public/Public Documents/RSView Enterprise/ME/HMI Projects/*your Project*/tag

Here you will Delete the file *your project name*.CAC

Then open up that project in FTVS, then close it and you will then be able to create your backup.

Hope this helps.