Data logging using TIA portal v15

kazmi1215

Hello,

is it possible to log data (7 or 8 sensors) from TIA portal v15 to Microsoft access/ excel directly for a short period of time e.g.1 hr? Your reply will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Thank you so much. @combo Actually I'm not using any HMI. I just want to record the status of some digital sensors for some time.
Does you second link work with more than one PLC 's at one time? Because I have two plcs working simultaneously. Thank you

Hello,

is it possible to log data (7 or 8 sensors) from TIA portal v15 to Microsoft access/ excel directly for a short period of time e.g.1 hr? Your reply will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

You're missing some important details like which PLC you are using and how often the data needs to be logged (every scan, every second, every minute, etc)

If you are using a 1500, you can use the OPC UA server in the PLC to connect to an OPC UA Client in Excel. See this application example.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/109748892

If you're using a 1200 or a 1500, then you can take a trace, load the measurements into Portal, and then export the data points to excel. However, the PLC does have a max amount of data that it can record, so this is very update rate dependant. If you need data every scan, it'll only last for a few sec. If you need data once a minute, it might last an hour.

You're missing some important details like which PLC you are using and how often the data needs to be logged (every scan, every second, every minute, etc)

If you are using a 1500, you can use the OPC UA server in the PLC to connect to an OPC UA Client in Excel. See this application example.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/109748892

If you're using a 1200 or a 1500, then you can take a trace, load the measurements into Portal, and then export the data points to excel. However, the PLC does have a max amount of data that it can record, so this is very update rate dependant. If you need data every scan, it'll only last for a few sec. If you need data once a minute, it might last an hour.

Thank you for detailed reply. I'm using ET200SP. I want lo log the changes in the status of bits. I am not looking for logging if the status remain the same.

Thank you for detailed reply. I'm using ET200SP. I want lo log the changes in the status of bits. I am not looking for logging if the status remain the same.

FYI, as you're looking at different solutions, ET200SP cpu's count as S7-1500's. It's just in a different shape.

Most canned logging solutions work by some PC polling the PLC periodically, although the data logger side might only make a note if it has changed.

The OPC server option can do subscriptions, where the Client asks the PLC for updates whenever the value changes. If the value stays constant, the Client might go a while without any update. However, sensors usually have some amount of noise, so the client might get many updates as the value wiggles a little: 92, 93, 92, 91, 92, 91, 92, 91, 92, 93, etc. It's "steady", but still "changing".

Thank you for information. I only have digital sensors so I'm not worried about that. Is it possible to log data of these digital sensors directly from TIA portal v15?

Thank you for information. I only have digital sensors so I'm not worried about that. Is it possible to log data of these digital sensors directly from TIA portal v15?

The CPUs can log data directly to the SD card. Those files can be accessed via the optional web page. Also, as I mentioned, within Portal, you can do a trace, although it is generally used for shorter timelines than an hour.

However, data logging is usually an HMI function, not a programming software function.

There are libraries you can use to build your own data logging tools, but most of the time you'll need to buy someone's HMI/data logger if you don't know how to build your own.