Studio 5000 Logix Emulate - Is this a free software with RS Logix 5000 or support ?

Good Morning ,

I have some projects in the works and I would like to start working on concepts and having meetings with animation to sell my ideas. Could you folks educate me concerning Studio 5000 Logix Emulate ? Is this software free with RS Logix 5000 ? Can I download it free with a support contract ? I can use this to animate with FactoryTalk View ME , correct ?

Thanks so much , Have a great day.

The reason I am looking to use this is I have a PLC/5 and SLC 500's to change over to CompactLogix / ControlLogix etc. I would like to use the emulator to debug my entire work , from the code to the HMI. What is the difference between the following , and what should I choose.....?

Thanks,

RS Logix Emulate 5000 9310-WED200ENE

Studio 5000 APC Design Config. 9324-RLDAPCENE

and the following.......

•Studio 5000 Logix Emulate for Operator Training
•9310-WEDOTS01 – Single Controller
•9310-WEDOTS04 – Four (4) Controllers
•9310-WEDOTS08 – Eight (8) Controllers
•9310-WEDOTS16 – Sixteen (16) Controllers
•Studio 5000 Logix Emulate for Operator Training is a standalone license and must be purchased separately.

Emulate 5000 is included with Studio 5000 Professional license (9324-RLD700NXENE), along with RSNetworx licenses.

I'm thinking 9310-WED200ENE is the right standalone license.

Baker in Virginia said:
...Could you folks educate me concerning Studio 5000 Logix Emulate ? Is this software free with RS Logix 5000 ?...

The smart answer says "No! Studio 5000 Logix Emulate is not included with any Edition of RSLogix 5000".

Clarity saves disparity...

I still see so many users referring to Studio 5000's Logix Designer as "RSLogix 5000" that it becomes difficult at times to decide which it is they actually mean to say?

Once more...the somewhat obvious but easily forgotten...

Up to revision 20 Logix processor firmware one would require RSLogix 5000 programming software. To emulate processors up to r20 one would require RSLogix Emulate 5000 and at minimum the Standard Edition of RSLogix 5000.

At or above revision 21 Logix processor firmware one would require Logix Designer programming software, which is packaged within the Studio 5000 suite of software. To emulate processors at or above r21 one would require Studio 5000 Logix Emulate and at minimum the Standard Edition of Logix Designer (Studio 5000).

Either emulation software product is included with the Proffesional Edition of their compatible programming software. For the Standard, Standard/Network, or Full Edition of the programming software they are available seperately.

So, taking your query above at face value...

Studio 5000 Logix Emulate does not come with RSLogix 5000 Professional Edition. Nor is it available separately for any other Editions of RSLogix 5000. It will only come with Studio 5000 Professional Edition, or be available separately with the other compatible Editions of Studio 5000.

As you have mentioned wanting to provide more animated presentations for future project work, one could assume that you do mean you will be using Logix Designer (Studio 5000) and are wondering how to procure its compatible Studio 5000 Logix Emulate software. But that is not what you have said. So I will not assume anything here.

So, which did you mean to say?...

"RSLogix 5000" or "Logix Designer"?

Which Edition do you currently have?

Which Logix processor firmware revision are you likely to use? If using Logix Designer then this consideration is vital for emulation...

Studio 5000 Logix Emulate is currently only available for Logix Designer v24 and v28.

If you were considering using the latest firmware revision 30, then emulation will not be available. The highest you can currently emulate is a r28 Logix processor.

The correct catalog number for Studio 5000 Logix Emulate or RSLogix Emulate 5000 is indeed 9310-WED200ENE.

I have intentionally not addressed your other specific questions until I'm sure what exactly it is you are after here.

I do hope that was somewhat "educational"?

Regards,
George

Thanks for the information. I am using RS Logix 5000 20.04 and Studio 5000 v28. The tutorial's I have seen , is that you can build your rack just like you would in a real ControlLogix rack. What is Logix Designer ? I went to the store last night and seen all these different Pop Tarts , it looked like Rockwell Software LOL.

You may want to be careful with using Emulate to test your logic. Depending on what you're trying to test it may lead you to investigate things that aren't actually broken. I've noticed issues with timers not updating consistently and a few other things.

Emulating full blown logix is fine. However, CompactLogix is garbage. When you change your processor to emulate, you will lose all io. It's better than nothing, but barely.

Baker in Virginia said:
Thanks for the information. I am using RS Logix 5000 20.04 and Studio 5000 v28. The tutorial's I have seen , is that you can build your rack just like you would in a real ControlLogix rack. What is Logix Designer ? I went to the store last night and seen all these different Pop Tarts , it looked like Rockwell Software LOL.

I'll start with your last question on Logix Designer. I had hoped that my brief explanation above would broadly suggest what it is, what it replaced and how it is packaged within other software. It seems that it did not do so clearly enough for you?

Let's try it another way...

If you open or create a v20 *.ACD project file you will notice that once open the software description at the top of the window will display as "RSLogix 5000..."

This is the name of the programming software that is used for v20 or older projects. You probably think you are using this for every project file you open or create?

Not quite so...

If you open or create a v28 *.ACD project file you will notice that once open the software description at the top of the window will display as "Logix Designer...".

But you're probably thinking...

..."Wait a minute? Didn't I just open Studio 5000, which basically just opens a shiny new version of RSLogix 5000?"...

You did open Studio 5000, but it opened a shiny new version called Logix Designer and not RSLogix 5000.

Ok then?...

So what's the difference and what's all this Studio 5000 stuff about?...

Up to v20 you just have the RSLogix 5000 programming software and this is what opens directly for these project versions.

At v21 two things happened...

They changed the name of RSLogix 5000 programming software to Logix Designer. Not only that, they also packaged Logix Designer inside a software suite known as Studio 5000. The idea being that Studio 5000 will contain all future key development software products for the Logix 5000 platform. This Studio 5000 suite, when first released, initially only contained Logix Designer v21.

A later release of Studio 5000, namely v27, would add the now present View Designer software product. This is used to develop applications for the latest range of PanelView 5500 HMI terminals. So as of v27, the Studio 5000 suite contains both Logix Designer and View Designer. When you open Studio 5000 v27 or above, you should see options to create either a new Logix Designer controller project or a View Designer HMI application.

RSLogix 5000 v20 was the final major release of the RSLogix 5000 programming software product. From here forward new releases would now be known as Logix Designer and would be released in line with new releases of Studio 5000 i.e. Logix Designer major releases are not released as standalone software products, as was the case for RSLogix 5000. They are included in Studio 5000 releases and this is how they are made commercially available in the main. Minor releases may be made available in between each release of Studio 5000.

View Designer is likewise commercially sold in the main as part of the Studio 5000 software suite, but newer minor releases may also be made available in between Studio 5000 releases.

Note: The version of Studio 5000 that you install denotes the version of Logix Designer that will be installed. It does not denote the version of View Designer that is installed. For instance, at its initial launch with Studio 5000 v27, View Designer was released at v2.01. A couple of minor v2.xx releases were subsequently made available after that. With the latest release of Studio 5000 v30, View Designer was released at v3.01.

On the surface, Logix Designer may appear the same as RSLogix 5000, and although they are effectively the same product, there are many differences between them, especially as newer versions of Logix Designer are released. But this is no different to older versions of RSLogix 5000 not looking quite the same as newer versions of the same software product. It is basically the same product being continuously updated, but just that its name changed at v21.

I hope that is somewhat clearer in explaining what Logix Designer is and all that goes with it?

I also want to address your versions of software that you have stated you will be using and looking to emulate, but it's 22:30 here and I've an early start in the morning. If I get a chance tomorrow some time I'll drop by and pick things up again.

I also want to explain something another Forum member has hit upon that might surprise "some" people? I don't know? We'll see...

Regards and goodnight,
George

Emulating full blown logix is fine. However, CompactLogix is garbage. When you change your processor to emulate, you will lose all io. It's better than nothing, but barely.

I've been using Emulate with a CompactLogix, so maybe that has been my issue.

I've been using Emulate with a CompactLogix, so maybe that has been my issue.

The Logix5000 Emulator is a Logix CPU simulator; obviously, since it is a 'virtual' controller, it does not support 'real' I/O but some user configured, 'manually' operated virtual Inputs and similarly implemented (and pretty much useless!) virtual Outputs.

Replacing any Logix CPU (Control- or CompactLogix) within a RSL5K/Logix Designer application with an Emulator renders any previously configured IO (including Motion!) unusable; you will have to delete all 'real' IO prior to downloading to the Emulator CPU.

The Emulator is handy for testing FTV applications (without a 'real' controller) and/or testing connectivity with other systems and that's about it.

The Logix5000 Emulator is a Logix CPU simulator; obviously, since it is a 'virtual' controller, it does not support 'real' I/O but some user configured, 'manually' operated virtual Inputs and similarly implemented (and pretty much useless!) virtual Outputs.

Replacing any Logix CPU (Control- or CompactLogix) within a RSL5K/Logix Designer application with an Emulator renders any previously configured IO (including Motion!) unusable; you will have to delete all 'real' IO prior to downloading to the Emulator CPU.

The Emulator is handy for testing FTV applications (without a 'real' controller) and/or testing connectivity with other systems and that's about it.

Wrong. You can keep io in controllogix. When changing from CpLX to emulate it's not a choice, it will remove io for you.