AB 1769-OF4VI Analog Module

Mray

Hi there,
I have just used 1769-OF4VI (Series A, Rev. 2.1) analog module with CompactLogix (1769-L30ER, 5370 controller). There is a red warning sign on module and the module status is FAULTED. Also in Studio 5000, the "I/O not responding" is green but flashing.
Before I used it with MicroLogix 1500 and it was working properly.
So, can somebody please help me to figure it out?

Tnx

02.jpg 01.jpg

Last edited:
DIP switch

The module, (by default) has the switch set to External Power.

You have to choices:
Wire 24vdc power supply to field wiring arm to drive your analog outputs. (Best)
or
Flip the switch, and use backplane power to drive the analog outputs.
(should shut the entire rack down on a single failed field device)

The module, (by default) has the switch set to External Power.

You have to choices:
Wire 24vdc power supply to field wiring arm to drive your analog outputs. (Best)
or
Flip the switch, and use backplane power to drive the analog outputs.
(should shut the entire rack down on a single failed field device)

(could shut the entire rack down on a single failed device)

What (I think) Plastic meant is that, if you use bus power to source your analog outputs, then a single failed device connected to your analog output can drag down the bus power and take out your whole rack. Whereas using external power isolates the bus power from the field devices and means you'll just lose the one device in that instance.

However, I don't think Plastic's tip is relevant here - even if you set the switch to the external power position and don't supply it with 24VDC, the card should still show up in your PLC. I've done it several times before when I needed the ability to isolate all power from a room in the event of a gas leak, including analog outputs.

Go to the connection tab on the card's properties window, and see what the fault description and fault code is. That'll help narrow things down.

What (I think) Plastic meant is that, if you use bus power to source your analog outputs, then a single failed device connected to your analog output can drag down the bus power and take out your whole rack. Whereas using external power isolates the bus power from the field devices and means you'll just lose the one device in that instance.

However, I don't think Plastic's tip is relevant here - even if you set the switch to the external power position and don't supply it with 24VDC, the card should still show up in your PLC. I've done it several times before when I needed the ability to isolate all power from a room in the event of a gas leak, including analog outputs.

Go to the connection tab on the card's properties window, and see what the fault description and fault code is. That'll help narrow things down.
There is no switch for external 24v.
The module is not connected to any load.
It only says FAULTED in the module properties window and there is no code and description as you can see in the attached photos.

There is no switch for external 24v.
The module is not connected to any load.
It only says FAULTED in the module properties window and there is no code and description as you can see in the attached photos.

You are correct, there is no switch on that module. I checked the instuctoions on THAT module this morning. My original thought was from past experience with other AB analog out modules.

Is the white BUS connection lever fully engaged and clicked into the module to the immediate left?

As ASF replied , check the connection tag in the properties displaqy . This refers to the connection between the rack and the module , NOT THE OUTPUT CONNECTION .
Paul

The Fault code was 16#0116 electronic keying mismatch.
Though in the module tag is written Series A and Rev. 2, I had to change it to Rev. 1 and choose compatible module in Studio 500. Then the yellow warning sign on Analog module disappeared.
The module is working now but I/O not responding is still flashing. Weird!!!

The "I/O Not Responding" indicator applies to all I/O connections, both on the backplane and on the network.

If that Baluff networked device is still not configured correctly, its connection failure would explain the "I/O Not Responding" indicator.

In RSLinx Classic (not in Studio 5000), browse down to the 1769-OF4VI module, right-click, and select "Device Properties". That will tell you what Firmware revision is actually running on the module. While Compact I/O modules are very seldom field-upgraded it's not impossible that you've got something unusual going on.

The "I/O Not Responding" indicator applies to all I/O connections, both on the backplane and on the network.

If that Baluff networked device is still not configured correctly, its connection failure would explain the "I/O Not Responding" indicator.

In RSLinx Classic (not in Studio 5000), browse down to the 1769-OF4VI module, right-click, and select "Device Properties". That will tell you what Firmware revision is actually running on the module. While Compact I/O modules are very seldom field-upgraded it's not impossible that you've got something unusual going on.
You are right. The Balluff was the problem because it was disconnected.
Appreciate you.