Why not put a touchscreen LCD on the CPU ?

OT: If the PLC program is written correctly and you have a HMI on the machine then you should not even have to ask 'what's wrong'... the programmer should be able to know what's not working and tell the tech/operator what is wrong on the HMI once its not, I do know depending on the complexity of the program its not always that simple, but its possible.

That reminds me of some of the quotes in the "funny phrases on a T-shirt" thread:

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Although I agree that we should try to help troubleshooting as much as we can (if only for the sake of our own sanity), there is no way a programmer can foresee all possible ways in which a machine and its' users can and will fail at some point in the future.

Although I agree that we should try to help troubleshooting as much as we can (if only for the sake of our own sanity), there is no way a programmer can foresee all possible ways in which a machine and its' users can and will fail at some point in the future.

Most of my program additions are done at the factory when commissioning the machine or if I get called more than one time for the same thing... if a operators pushes the same button 2 times and nothing happens then there is a issue and can be resolved easy if they know the issue.

The last one I had the operator keep leaving out the safety pin on the carriage, so wrote a popup alarm "Check Safety Pin" if the operator pushes the start button more than once and the pin prox is not made.

Its the 'insanity check'.... definition of insanity "doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome"

Most of my program additions are done at the factory when commissioning the machine or if I get called more than one time for the same thing... if a operators pushes the same button 2 times and nothing happens then there is a issue and can be resolved easy if they know the issue.

The last one I had the operator keep leaving out the safety pin on the carriage, so wrote a popup alarm "Check Safety Pin" if the operator pushes the start button more than once and the pin prox is not made.

Its the 'insanity check'.... definition of insanity "doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome"

I worked on a machine that implemented a message system precisely for this. If the function was disabled and the button was pushed to activate it, one prioritised reason for the disablement would show up in a message banner (different than alarm banner).

Of course, most operators wouldn't look at said banner, so it was useful for maintenance people to look it up from their terminals and tell the operator to do X or Y.

I worked on a machine that implemented a message system precisely for this. If the function was disabled and the button was pushed to activate it, one prioritised reason for the disablement would show up in a message banner (different than alarm banner).

Of course, most operators wouldn't look at said banner, so it was useful for maintenance people to look it up from their terminals and tell the operator to do X or Y.

50% of my machine program is precisely this.

The main advantage this offer is that the CPU touchscreen pulls up a module status page whenever you touch the pad on the module itself. So it's good for troubleshooting.

It also has an HDMI and Usb port to connect it to a door-mounted touchscreen.