Siemens S7-200 no way to connect?

Leukic

Had an issue with the machine cutting stopping in the middle of auto running. So I go to the cabinet to plug up to the plc and well both of the connections for the ppi cable are being used.
1-Goes to the HMI
2-goes to the 2 drives for the belts.

Can I just disconnect the cable going to the hmi while the machine is running to observe a fault? Or will this cause the machine to stop?

Can I just disconnect the cable going to the hmi while the machine is running to observe a fault? Or will this cause the machine to stop?

No, odds are it will stop and fault out.

Is there a place to plug in? SOME (not all) will let you piggyback onto the connection, check the HMI and drives also and you will need a multi master cable for this.

No, odds are it will stop and fault out.

Is there a place to plug in? SOME (not all) will let you piggyback onto the connection, check the HMI and drives also and you will need a multi master cable for this.
I don't see any place to piggy back and I have the cable.. Unless the back covers of the profibus cable come off. Which I can check here shortly.
117bn1y.jpg

33kr5e1.jpg

Call your local rep and buy a Profibus connector that allows you to hook up your cable.
I think you can also get the Profibus connectors from other vendors.
Wago, Siemens and a bunch more.

I would suggest changing one of your Profibus connectors for the newer style- then you can piggyback off the network and go online using a CP5511/ CP5512 card.

Regards

Daniel

Thanks, Rob Collinsd70 and bkottaras. I will give my local siemens rep a call. He was the one that supplied me with USB/PPI Multi-master cable.

Profibus DP Connector: 6ES7 972-0BA50-0XA0

C79459-A1890-A1 is the Part Number for the CP5511/CP5512 Cards, in brief; CP5511 is suited for 32 bit systems <=Win2k. CP5512 is confirmed working for <=Windows XP- the converter provided allows you to connected to a DP Master as a secondary DP Master (normally on the reserved DP Address 127).

Alternatively you already have Serial/ USB to PPI- so just change the connector and you should be able to connect this way.

Regards

Daniel