Sort Posts by Manufacturer

eckirchn

This is a great forum, one thing I don't understand is why not have categories, like:

• AB
    Siemens
    GE
    etc.

I work mostly with Rockwell and Siemens, wouldn't it make things easier on everyone if the OEM exists?

I guess why not subcategory this to a OEM? Wouldn't that help people help people?

As Ronnie said, a lot of the doubts are generic so even though it may not relate to the platform of choice for some of us, we can still add something to it. Plus, this is not a forum with heavy traffic and splitting the questions through forums with vendors wouldn't add value and probably avoid some people navigating and adding their input on some of the questions.

What you really want would be for the possibility of each person posting a question to tag that post as GE, AB or Siemens or even down to S7, TIA Portal, PLC5 and so on. This would then let you filter per subject... but it would also be dependent on good tagging by the people posting.

For me I like it like this... there is to many clicking by looking into sub categories, I check in a few times a day so I can easily look over all the new post and can pick if I want to read and/or if I think I can help, if I need to click on all the sub's it would just take that much more time

Jack of All Trades

@geniusintraining

So you look at this as Automation as a whole, not coming here looking for advice that some of the big guys have made hard to find?

For me I like it like this... there is to many clicking by looking into sub categories, I check in a few times a day so I can easily look over all the new post and can pick if I want to read and/or if I think I can help, if I need to click on all the sub's it would just take that much more time

As a field programmer that comes across every know type of PLC I find it nice to go through other brand PLC questions.

I mainly program AB, Siemens and Mitsubishi - but also have customers with Omron, Idec, Automation Direct/Koyo, Panasonic, Saia, Crouzet, and more (then add off-brand HMI's) that I have to have the software for and hardly ever open so I am not too familiar with them.

As a field programmer that comes across every know type of PLC I find it nice to go through other brand PLC questions.

I mainly program AB, Siemens and Mitsubishi - but also have customers with Omron, Idec, Automation Direct/Koyo, Panasonic, Saia, Crouzet, and more (then add off-brand HMI's) that I have to have the software for and hardly ever open so I am not too familiar with them.

So wouldn't it be nice to post based on that platform?

@geniusintraining

So you look at this as Automation as a whole, not coming here looking for advice that some of the big guys have made hard to find?
Welcome to the forum!
I think that this post (#7) about sums it all up for me. I and a lot of us old guys are retired and are interested in most brands. Hunting thru Sub-Categories would just be a nuisance to me. Most of the posters that have questions identify the brand and model or the problem that they are having in the subject and that is what I personally look for.

Last edited: