GE: Importing a CSV file for Variable declarations

Paullys50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone have experience doing this? I would like to manipulate my variable list using excel, then import that back into cimplicity.

Currently we are adding on to a system, and I'm trying to organize my varible list to see what I have to work with. I was able to export the exisiting list into a csv file, open it up in excel, make changes, save it as a csv file. When I try to import the new file, cimplicity gives me an error saying it cannot read the file.

I do not use Cimplicity but Citect allows export/import of csv files for the database. The one thing that does cause a problem is that the field width has to be set to suit Citect. I do not know if Cimplicity requires this but worth a look.

I have upgraded to proficy a long time ago and have done what you are asking in proficy. I would think the older cimplicity will do the same.
All you need to do is right click int the variable names window and right click go down to export and your done. Make your changes in excel .csv and go back and repeat except import.

Machine Edition 5.0

I thought that it could be the cell width's, so I exported a csv file, then tried to import the exact file into a new program, and had the same problem.

Maybe it works better in 5.5, were upgrading in the next week.

yup exported the file from an existing project, opened a new project, and imported the same file into the new project without changes. Nada.

I'll have to try it when we upgrade to 5.5

Can you move the columns around in excel? I know that in my csv file my I/O addresses are way to the right, and I would rather move that column to the left to organize it better.

Are you able to do that? Or do you have to keep the exact format?

The file layout has to stay the same in order to import the data back into cimplicity. I have done this with all versions of Cimplicity Machine Edition and have not had any issues.I ususally hide the columns I don't need so that the I/O addresses are where I can see them.

If you still have trouble post a copy of the CSV that you are trying to import and maybe someone could see what the problem is.

Good Luck