Configure 1734-AENTR Module

pr_wainwright

Hi,
I have a 1769-L18ER-BB1B controller (192.168.1.1) with 8 local digital outputs (1734-OB8) connected & working ok. I wish to add an expansion module using a 1734-AENTR module. I have added the 1734-AENTR with 1 digital output module for a simple test setup. The 1735-AENTR has an ip address set to (192.168.1.5), with correct revision etc set. The configuration seems ok to me but I have the 3 erroe below on the module info tab of the properties dialog box

1) Internal State - Unconnected.
2) Configured - No.
3) Owned - No.

Has anyone any idea's on how to resolve the above?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Paul.

1734-AENTR-FAULT.jpg

Have you set the 1734-AENTR existing chassis size when adding the module?
I believe it is defaulted to 7.
This might be the reason the remote rack data cannot be allocated by the CPU.

Can you post the fault code from the "Connection" Tab?
It should be in 16#xxxx format

Can you post screenshot of the "Chassis Size" tab?

It looks like the error code is 16#0010, which is a "module is in the incorrect state" error.

This always results from the Chassis Size not being correctly applied.

Try the web interface method: log into the 1734-AETR's webpage (using admin/password), and click on Configuration.

Set the chassis size to "2", for the AENT and the one expansion module.

Ken Roach,
Success! I had the chassis size set to 2 in the project but when I accessed the 1734-AENTR using the web browser the chassis size was set to 1. Changing it to 2 & cycling the power worked. 2 days pulling my hair out now over! Thanks for the help.

Cheers
Paul.

It's really strange bug. Never thought I have to use web-interface... But it's really worked.
1734-AENTR and 18-slot chasis. The same problem, the same sollution :))
Nice, that I checked chasis at the office with Internet, not at the object without any communications :)

Last edited:
Same problem

I had the same problem.

Three 1734-AENTR/B modules. Two with 9 slot chassis and the other was a 3 slot but the module was showing up as a 5 slot chassis.

Had to jump through a few hoops to get the web interface up and running. But once I made the adjustment and saved it on the web interface, all I had to do was reset the module and now everything is happy.

Thanks a lot guys!

Hi, I have the same problem but the slot size is correct both in the applicwtion and in the web interface, any other thoughts?

I had the same error, 16#0010. The Chassis size was set correctly at 11. However, going to "Browse Chassis" in the web interface and STARTing a scan, it only found modules in 6 slots. I powered down and found the 1734-TOPS weren't fully engaged (I pushed down on them and they snapped in). Took care of my issue.

This is not a bug or glitch...

Just a quick explanation on what users are experiencing here when attempting to expand a POINT I/O adapter chassis size...

Changing the adapter's chassis size under the Module Definition in RSLogix 5000/Logix Designer is only informing the Logix 5000 project of the change i.e. the controller. Even if you make the software change, also adding the new module(s) under the I/O Configuration, and download to the controller, this does not update the actual adapter configuration in the device itself, only the controller is updated to reflect this change. You must separately update the actual adapter as well.

From scratch...

In RSLogix 5000/Logix Designer under Module Properties for the 1734-AENTx -

1. Offline from the controller, go to General>Change>Module Definition and change the Chassis Size as required, including "1" for the adapter itself. Save and download this change to the controller. This just updates the controller I/O Configuration of the change.

2. Go Online with the controller and revisit the Module Properties for the 1734-AENTx. Double-check the downloaded change is still present under General>Change>Module Definition>Chassis Size. Then go to the Chassis Size tab and you should see that the Chassis Size in Module value, which should be looking at the adapter live, will be different from the General tab value. Then press the Set Chassis Size in Module button.

As the description to the left of the button explains, this button will update the chassis size in the actual adapter with the chassis size you have already updated and downloaded under the General tab. At this point both the controller and the adapter should now have been updated to reflect the same change.

Alternatively, if you do the General tab change offline and perform a download, then to update the actual adapter, you can do as Ken advised and access it live via its embedded web interface, or, you can access it live via RSLinx Classic/Module Properties (-AENT only, not -AENTR) and make the change. Either of these methods will update the configuration in the actual adapter.

However, the button on the Chassis Size tab, which is available in both RSLogix 5000 and Logix Designer, is there to make this chassis size change much simpler. You just have to know about it.

So in short...

Both the project i.e. Logix 5000 controller, and the actual POINT I/O adapter must be separately configured to reflect any chassis size expansion, or reduction changes, and these changes may all be made via the adapter's Module Properties applet.

Regards,
George

---

"It looks like the error code is 16#0010, which is a "module is in the incorrect state" error.

This always results from the Chassis Size not being correctly applied.

Try the web interface method: log into the 1734-AETR's webpage (using admin/password), and click on Configuration.

Set the chassis size to "2", for the AENT and the one expansion module."
---

This worked perfectly. I love when someone actually posts a solution that works and not a hyperlink or "try cycling power".

Many Thanks!

So when you went to the Chassis size tab and tried to correct the size this did not work?

I always used this tab when expanding 1734 chassis and it always worked. Is this a newer firmware/software revision that this fails on this chassis size tab?