Citect - Reading data from *.xml file

electro89

The task I need to ultimately accomplish is deriving specific data from an XML file using Cicode. The data I would need to get would be in this structure:
<text left="851" top="338" width="111" height="47" font-face="Arial" font-style="bold" font-size="10">DATA I WANT</text>

I thought that a File Function would be able to skip to this line, and write it to a string variable, but (using FileSeek), I can only jump to a line by character number, which will not work because the length of each line will vary (the number of lines will not).

Next, I created an ASCII Device, and used some Device Functions, but ended up with the same results. Also, changing the file extension to a .dbf or .xls and using a dBASE Device did not give me any output at all.

Any help on how I can accomplish this would be very helpful. I'm surprised I cannot find anything online.

I'm also open to using other resources, such as batch.

Thanks,
Martino

FileReadLn, from what I know, only shows you the text up to the end of the line. Are you saying that if I put, for example, 5 in a row, I will get to line 5? I'm not near my pc right now but I will try in the morning

Yup, that's exactly what I'm saying. When you open a file, the file pointer points to the beginning of the file. As you read the file, the pointer moves.

The function FileSeek places the pointer in a specific position and is typically useful for binary files.(Not usefull for you in this case)

for anyone else wondering, I've completed this code and the "string" functions were very helpful for narrowing down the value I needed.
More specifically, I used
StrLength //to find length of whole line
StrSearch //searched number of characters up to first > and second <
StrRight
StrLeft //trimmed right and left xml code