Cheap cable vs Allen Bradley $$$$ cables

daveco

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have 'one' AB SLC 5/04 in our plant (the rest are Modicon) and trying to find a reasonable approach to talking with it instead of replacing it. We already bit the bullet and purchased a RSLogix 500 Starter and downloaded the RSLinx.

Our supplier wants $600+ for a damn [FONT=&quot]1747-UIC cable![/FONT] cable! I found the $30 to $80 cables that claim to work. My question is, do they? Would a USB 1747-CP3 work for me as well?

We're replacing the 5/04 with a 5/05 that has ethernet port, so once we get it configured, we won't need the cable but would like to have something on hand in case we have to replace the processor again.

Dave

Last edited:
The 1747-UIC is more than just a cable, it is a USB to DH485 converter. AB is very proud of theirs. A fellow forum member owns plccable.com and they have a 3rd party one for sell for around $80. He is a very active member, so I'm sure he can help you with it if you have any problems.

I have bought 2 on eBay. 1 for $35.00 and the second time the least expensive I found was $60.00

They both work fine for me, on XP, 7 and 10 for SLC's and older Panelviews.

The SLC 5/04 is DH+ and RS232 ports
Channel 0 can be configured to DH485 but if you do that you run the risk of losing communication to the SLC altogether
then you will have to reset it to factory default and lose all the settings and the program

if channel 0 has not been reconfigures you can connect using an RS232 null modem cable

I have found that sometimes they don't reset back to factory setting

Good Luck getting in

I have bought 2 on eBay. 1 for $35.00 and the second time the least expensive I found was $60.00

They both work fine for me, on XP, 7 and 10 for SLC's and older Panelviews.

That's enough feed back for me to at least attempt the $30 USB 1747-CP3 knock off I found.

Thanks

I have to say that $600+ is probably your supplier taking their pound of flesh. The last AB 1747-UIC I bought was a couple of years ago, but it was AU$300.

I would buy a knock off 1747-CP3 cable or build your own. See if you can configure RSLinx to talk to it through the serial port using DF1 protocol. I suspect you have a better than 80% chance that the serial port is set up for DF1 Full Duplex and you just need a simple serial cable:

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-slc-1747-cp3-controllogix-1756-cp3-10ft/

If you do not have a good quality USB to Serial converter, I highly recommend this one:

https://www.plccable.com/usb-to-rs232-plc-programming-cable-special-plctalk-net/

You should not need to buy the expensive DH+ cable and should not need the DH-485 (UIC) cable unless you are sure the 5/04 has its serial port set up for DH485. If you really believe you need a DH-485 cable then buy this one:

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-sale-1747-uic-usb-to-dh485-usb-version-1747-pic-slc-500/

Get online and save the program. Go offline and change the controller type to the specific model of SLC 5/05 you need. Then Save As.. with a new name. Do NOT clear the I/O or resize data tables when prompted.

Set the channel configuration for Channel 1 (Ethernet) to match what you will want. Save again. Install the new 5/05, with the key switch in program mode. Power it up. Using the same serial cable, establish communication to the 5/05 using RSLinx. Download the modified program into it and switch to RUN mode.

Now you can connect to it with Ethernet.

Changing controller types is pretty easy with various flavors of SLCs. If you do not have a commented copy of the file for the 5/04, you will not have any address comments, but you can build them up from electrical drawings and (if any exist) HMI/SCADA tags that access it.

The serial port could be set up for: DF1 Full Duplex, DH485, ASCII, Modbus, DF1 half duplex, DF1 Radio,...and I think I am forgetting one other possibility... If it is set up for ASCII or Modbus, RSLogix cannot connect to that port. Borrow somebody with a DH+ cable for an hour to make you a backup file to dump in your new SLC... If it is set up for DF1 Radio protocol or Half Duplex Master or Slave, setting up RSLinx to talk to it can be tricky but is still possible in most cases.

Really, if you have a reputable integrator you can call in for an hour, it should take less than than amount of time to connect and produce a RSLogix500 file suitable for your migration to a 5/05.

I have bought all the cables in my links above and they are all superior quality, delivered fast, for much MUCH less money than those with the A/B logo on them.

Last edited:
Thanks OkiePC!

We have an integrator that's been helping us make the change. I'm just trying to come up with the necessary cables so we can talk to it if he's not available or have him talk me through it over the phone.

Hi Dave,

Sorry I have not posted but been busy getting caught up with the hurricane

As mentioned by the above people our cables work very well and they are a great aftermarket replacement for a less expensive solution, we also have some OEM if you feel the need

We have a lifetime guarantee on the cables we manufacture

Thank you very much to the members that have posted kind words about us.... looks like im doing something right and your checks are in the mail :)

You can also call us if you need help

EDIT : If you want to do the ebay route we also sell on there.... cheaper on our website but here is a link http://stores.ebay.com/plctrainerandcables/

Last edited:
Thanks Geniusintraining. I only wish I would've waited and went with one of yours. If the one I get ends up being ****, I'll go to your website.

My mistake. I saw the 5/04 and overlooked the actual part# posted. Never considered someone using DH485 on that.

I missed the 5/04 part myself and as OkiePC pointed out the serial port is probably still configured for DF1. So a USB to serial adapter may be all the OP needs ( a whole lot cheaper).