Programming text books

Dallin

Heya guys;

I have been lurking through the boards for a few months now and was wondering if you could recommend a few text books or web sites that would help me along in my PLC learning. I am in my second year of an electrical apprenticeship at a Northern Ontario Lumber Mill. We are lucky enough to be able to do our own programming as well as the usual electrician duties. I have done some programming already and I was lucky enough to be able to Network our Mill that uses Mainly Allen Bradley PLC's.

I have read a lot of the post here and there is a lot of them that I kind of get what you are looking to do but I want to learn more.

Any suggestions would be great.

I just ran into one I hadn't seen before at the Manufacturing show in Chicago today.

"Programmable Logic Controllers: An emphasis on Design and Application", by Kelvin T. Erickson; a professor at University of Missouri, Rolla.

It's a huge, thick book 1450 pages, that covers each problem from 5 different brand approaches: Modicon, controlLogix, PLC-5/SLC-500, S7-300/400 & Ge Fanuc. It is not a theoretical, academic tome, it is more a practical approach.

One fairly intensive chapter on communications, one very short chapter on HMI's.

A huge overview from what appears to be a practical approach. I paid $75 USD for it at the show. The web site probably charges shipping.

http://www.dogwoodvalleypress.com/production/default.asp
Dan