Need Beginner AB PLC ADVICE

Byron1

I'm new to this board, but it's great!! A lot of knowledge floating around.
I work as an instrumentation/electrical controls tech, and occasionally get the chance to go "who active online" troubleshooting the AB micrologix, and sometimes with the SLC series. Problem is, the plant I'm in has a dedicated PLC guru who, for obvious reasons, doesn't share a lot of knowledge with the other techs.
I'm very familiar with tuning loops (pid), calibration, 4-20mA etc. My problem is, I'm starved for knowledge, don't have time to go to a class to learn advance PLC proggramming etc. Can someone give me a good link or maybe an online learning resource, or books.
We mostly use AB, but do have some Modicon.
Thanks in advance!

Byron blokes like you mention really **** me off. Whether he is the PLC guru, another tech whatever, every plant seems to have a dick who doesnt want to share knowledge. He should remember that you are all a team working together to make your product at the plant.

Learn up, start by getting Phils book. Then use every oppurtunity at work to try to get some online time. I myself get a bit in on nightshift, our PLC gurus must be afraid of the dark, because when the **** hits the fan on nightshift, its just me and my shift buddies, no sign of them! Book some spare parts out of the store ie chasis, cpu and some basic io and have a go at putting one together. Thats how I started. Havent done much programming but can faultfind pretty good now, about a zillon times faster than this time last year. Its just practice and oppurtunity.

Good hunting

I agree with TimeFluxCap in his encouragement. As the 'PLC Guru' at our plant I encourage the techs to learn as much as they can. We have AB and AutomationDirect training materials and have run as many of the techs as we can though them. Whenever I'm at a machine and a tech is helping, I try to explain what's going on. I find that if they (the techs) can basically hook up a computer, find inputs, outputs, settings, it multiplies my effectiveness. I don't feel any threat to my job in sharing this knowledge.

Bernie and TimeFluxCap,

I share your feelings. In our organisation we avoid those kind of employees. That's easy to understand, because teaching is all about sharing knowledge after all. From this year on, knowledge sharing in general is even a major evaluation criterium for everybody, from us, simple trainers all the way up to the Administrator-General.

Our organisation, VDAB or the Flemish Service for Employment and Vocational Training, is one of the members of the EVTA , the European Vocational Training Association. The single goal of this organisation is to share knowledge, unfortunately for the moment they only want to share amongst the members and member fee is about 25,000 euro per annum.

Kind regards,