Which PLC Option?

Timbo

I am looking to purchase an Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1200 for learning purposes. After visiting their website I am confussed as to which one to purchase. The part numbers I came up with (1762-L24WAW, 1762-L24BWA, and 1762-L24BXB) come with different configurations of outputs and I was wondering which one would allow me to grow in the future (allow me to connect a variety of devices). The last part number on my list says 5 relay and 5 FET outputs. Since I don't know very much about FET I was hoping someone could help me out.

Thank you,

Thanks

Thanks for the reply gbradley. I actually have a few books on the subject and am currently taking night school courses. I will be looking at the 1200 series because I can add modules to it from what I can tell. Hopefully this will allow me to expand as I become more advanced on the subject. Thanks again for your reply.

Tim K.

Work

I am actually working in telecommunications. I do estimates for fiber optics and UTP cabling for the downtown core here in Toronto. My company does not have any automation or controls portion to it. After I got out of College I couldn't find work in controls so I ended up doing networking at Nortel Networks (we all know how they are doing right now). I have been trying to keep up to date in the field of controls and PLC but it is difficult when your not doing it every day. Thanks for the idea. I am talking to distributors and some of them have demo plcs that they might sell to me for a reduced price without warrantee.

Tim K.

You will probably get the most use out of 24 VDC inputs and outputs, and they are easier to work with on a desktop.

Something to consider is the 1500 instead of the 1200. We use this model because it has two comm ports, and the 1200 only has one (at least it did - I don't know about the newer models. If you decide you want to play with an O/I in the future the second comm port is handy.

Thanks Tom,

The only thing that would prevent me from getting a 1500 is price. I figured a 1200 will cost me from $500 - $600 CDN which is just about my limit. I will check into a 1500 to see the difference. If anyone has a 1500 that they are willing to part with for a decent price let me know.

Tim K.

Just some suggestions. If you're going to purchase from ab themself, I personally would go to ebay and bid on a slc 500 with a processor(compatable with your pc) and analog cards so you can go a little further. (ie: working with analog signals and I/O) You'll get more for your money as long as you get a seller that will guarantee the epuiptment your purchasing is in fair and working cond.

$500.00-$600.00 Cdollars

I take it that you already have the software to program your PLC.
If not, then most of your allowance will be spent on software.
That is why I suggested the starter pak.
It comes with the software, and a cable well under your budget.

If you already have the software, then the Ebay suggestion sounds the best.
You get to play with a more powerful machine for the same dough.

Ebay

That is a good suggestion alanc5, I will look into that. I would like to be able to play around with analog as that is the one area I find a little confusing and difficult. As for the software...I have RSLogix 500 so I should be fine there.

Thanks to everyone that responded this gives me a few things to start with.

Yes Gbradley is right .... i guess i just assumed you had rs 500. Sounds like you just need a way to communicate( pic module ect.) remember this though if you bid on ebay, try to enter your highest bid in the last 30 or so seconds. good luck . alan

It occurs to me, after reading your responses, that you are rather frugal and want to keep your costs down. Who doesn't?

If you want to have access to a truck-load of capabilities for a reasonable buck, why not take a look at Automation Direct (I'm surprised that Tom didn't give you a nudge in this direction!) or try Siemens S7-200. The prices are very reasonable for both! You're gonna pay thru the nose for AB!

Even if you are taking classes in AB, you would do yourself a great favor to use one of those I indicated. Only then would you start to develop and have faith in the idea that to know how to program one PLC is to know how to program all PLC's!

I am very fond of saying that "If you love AB, it's only because you haven't tried anything else!"

My absolute favorite English-Speaking PLC is TI, but S7-200 (Siemens - not so the S7-300, S7-400 and S5) and Automation Direct are damned close!

Do yourself a favor; Look at these as alternatives! They'll be easier on your mind and your wallet!

Starter PLC

Check out Automationdirect.com
They have small PLCs (DL05xxx) with analog add on capabilities for $99
You can also get the programming software (downscaled version) for $99
Com cable $15
This is all you need to get started for a mere $213.

Later on you can network these puppies together and add an MMI.

Good luck,

Orn (Iceman)

Same old story

If you want to learn how to program a PLC go out and buy the DL.
This will give you a lot of hands on experience.
However once you get to feel capable enough to go out on the floor and actually work on a piece of equipment, dollars to doughnuts says that when you open up the enclosure one of them darned SLC 500's will be staring back at you.

How's that for a run on sentence?

AB is High priced and read the archives, many here don't exactly love'em.

The fact however, is that they are out there in droves.

If you want to make a living programming PLC's you ought to learn to speak AB.

Since you already have the software, you may as well buy an SLC.
Maybe if you do the Ebay thing, you'll have some left over to buy something from Koyo?
Good luck!

The preceeding is my own opinion, and I do regularly work on AB and Koyo, however that is all I've ever had the fortune to program.

Thanks

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I am currently looking into purchasing something from ebay. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again,