Communication between Siemens PLC en AB PLC through profibus?

pietervdb

Hello,

I have a question. Is it possible to set up communication between a Allen Bradley PLC and a Siemens PLC through profibus.

It's because a client of us wants to buy a system that is based on a Siemens PLC but he wants it to communicates with the main AB PLC profibus network.

I'm new to the AB PLC systems so i don't know if something like this can be possible.

Thanx

Forget the fact that it's a Siemens PLC and an AB PLC. What you are asking is "can two Profibus devices communicate?" Well, of course. That's what it's there for.

As the AB PLC is already present and you refer to it as the "main" system, does this mean it is acting as Profibus master? Depending on the model of Siemens PLC being added it can probably act as a slave to the AB master. If the Siemens PLC can also only be set up as a master then the answer lies in a great little device from Siemens, the Profibus DP-DP Coupler. This little box has two ports for two separate Profibus networks. You connect the Siemens master to one, and the AB master to the other. You will have to reconfigure the AB to tell it about this new 'slave' device and set up how much data the slave is to handle (your choice, up to the Profibus maximum). Similarly configure the Siemens master for its slave and set up the same data selection. As soon as both masters are running the DP-DP Coupler will automatically make data from one slave available to the other. Outputs from the AB slave will appear as inputs on the Siemens slave and vice versa. Very neat, quick and easy.

Regards

Ken