too good to be true ...

The pictures show a page of floating/unlimited simatic licenses (no TIA), but that could all be other than genuine since it appears to be the same images for two auctions. No pictures of any R-A software.

It's a lot simpler to "create" those Siemens licenses out of "thin air" than it is for Rockwell's software. I won't advertise it, but it's very common and surprisingly updated like clockwork once new software revisions are launched.

My main concern is would that old Dell with that CPU support Win10 X64? I have old computers that trying to install WIn10 on the pre-check rejects the computer.

To me is seems obvious the software is pirated for that price. The software listed would cost over US $20,000

Has anyone ever successfully used one of the fleaBay laptops with what would appear to be thousands of dollars of software e.g.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WINDOWS-10...512552?hash=item4dbf2767e8:g:zS4AAOSwKcZf26ic

Is that a scam? They spell it Logixx; is that an attempt to not be noticed by R-A?

Licensed or not it looks more like a compatibility nightmare to me, I can't believe all that software listed will all play nice together

I'm not sure what AutoCARD is either !

That is almost certainly a lie.

If one of you purchases this laptop and I can verify that the activations are transferrable and not temporary, Toolkit, or pirated, I will eat my shoe.

On YouTube, live. A Brooks Trace, size 12. With laces.

Since I have been buying and selling on ebay for many years I consider myself knowledgeable when it comes to this and there is no doubt Ken is correct and I will eat his other shoe...

The licenses reference is going to be for Windows (if you ask), because he has sold so many of these there is no doubt he has made a ghost image and just transferring to another used PC that he buys from ebay for 50.00 and sells for 450

I have known a surprising number of guys that bought those just to learn. It was a lot cheaper than a class and if it died in 6 months they got their money out of it.

It most certainly is ghosted and pirated.

If you feel like having fun.. report the auction as pirated/illegal software.

There are incredibly easy ways to defeat RA's node locking. Its comically weak but there is little they can do about it. Any employer of mine from the past.. did use one of the methods for their VMs. But the actual tech laptops carried full licensing for the software anyway, so they could argue/claim the laptop had the needed licenses and that only one person could use the laptop at the same time so the license of the host should suffice to protect/cover the quasi-illegal license on the VM hosted by that laptop.

They were just never smart enough to figure out how to make the VM feed off the licenses of the HOST system. That was relatively easy for IT guy crossing the bridge to controls. Which changes soooooooooo much slower.

If you feel like having fun.. report the auction as pirated/illegal software.

There are incredibly easy ways to defeat RA's node locking. Its comically weak but there is little they can do about it.

At my previous plant, our old man controls engineer stuck to V20 for PLCs for close to a decade and, just because he didn't want to switch from the EVMove style licensing to the FTActivationManager system. This meant that over the decade, our PLC comments weren't updated unless critical, causing a clustercluck. And installation issues.

Maybe Rockwell doesn't want to change their system because they can't, due to customers like us. We had a total of 100-200 Rockwell license for different items, non toolkit, end user individual licenses. I think this is who Rockwell's big ticket customers are. Even if they take actions for keeping integrators happy in recent S5K releases, it might be a means to an end, so that more customers depend on Rockwell.

Last edited:
Note that the description says:

"... fully licensed and comes with 2 Training Software..."

Then in the Training Software section it lists LogixPro and RSTrainer for RSLinx.

My guess is that you can use this laptop for all the packages listed, but that it only comes with licenses for those two training packages. If memory serves, RSTrainer for RSLinx didn't use a license. Other RSTrainer packages did, but not the one for RSLinx.

OG

It's a lot simpler to "create" those Siemens licenses out of "thin air" than it is for Rockwell's software. I won't advertise it, but it's very common and surprisingly updated like clockwork once new software revisions are launched.

This. I have always wondered if Siemens is doing it on purpose because it has been the same thing since forever, at least it was already the case when I started working (10 years ago).

I assumed that they did not care and were all about selling their hardware.

Anyway for these used machines there are no rules. Maybe a company is going bankrupt and selling their devices on ebay.

Software are expensive but they are all virtuals. They are worth 0 dollars and completely useless for people not doing automations and nobody would pay a used laptop that price.

Your 5000 dollars RSlogix is worth less than a Zip manager for the average user.

I assumed that they did not care and were all about selling their hardware.

The first TIA portal (Basic) that I used did not have any protection at all, I think it was 10.0 or 10.5, I think they were thinking about having Basic as a free version and charge for Pro then changed their mind also MicroWin had no protection, I know it was not theirs originally but even V4 SP9 had nothing

The first TIA portal (Basic) that I used did not have any protection at all, I think it was 10.0 or 10.5, I think they were thinking about having Basic as a free version and charge for Pro then changed their mind also MicroWin had no protection, I know it was not theirs originally but even V4 SP9 had nothing

Even the pro versions have very weak protections. The same updated soft can bypass them versions after versions and it has become common knowledge among siemens users and in a lot of companies. That's why I thought it was maybe intentional or at least not a focus from them to have more robust anti piracy policies.

The companies who only earn money with software are doing a lot more. Like the mechanical CAD software. Dassault with CATIA and Solidworks for exemples are very active and hunting down unlicensed uses of their products.

Do not go near this laptop! There is not way it is legit and Rockwell really cares. I purchased some software about 10 years ago off of ebay thinking I had found a deal. Got the software in the form of copied cd's. I realized I had been duped, threw away the disks and moved on. A year or two later I received a letter from Rockwell's attorneys informing me that I was on a list of people that had purchased from the (now jailed) individual on ebay. Since I was a toolkit user they understood I had proper software but wanted to retrieve the pirated software. I contacted them and told them my story and let them know I had discarded the disks. I then had to sign an affidavit that I had destroyed the software disks. I dont think they would have been as pleasant if I had not been a toolkit owner and had several owned packages on file in addition. Now if you like to have fun conversations with high powered attorneys, then by all means purchase that laptop. If not I would stay away because after they get done with the ebay seller they will come after the buyers.

Not sure if it is the same with CLX, but with RSL500, panelbuilder & RSVeiw32 although I worked for the company, I was the registered keeper in my name, I was told by Rockwell that if I left then I would have to get the registered keeper changed to whoever was taking over my position, It appears that Rockwell software cannot be used legally unless it is registered even if you have the licences i.e. purchased from other than a distributer unless it registered to you and purchased from one of the distributers. I do know that Rockwell will prosecute if you are found to be using unregistered software.

This. I have always wondered if Siemens is doing it on purpose because it has been the same thing since forever, at least it was already the case when I started working (10 years ago).

I think it's a strategy that works and does open doors for some companies. I'm sure that when you spend millions integrating for them, they will want to see a reasonable number of licenses purchased.
But for people to learn or a company to get off its feet and start using their products its invaluable.

Compare it to Rockwell that you can't even download a demo and there should be an awful lot more people conversant in the free platform than the one requiring licensing.

It's also great to know that you can get the software running in the event of a failure and loss of the real license without spending time on the phone to reactivate.