too good to be true ...

Nope, because I've legitimately purchased S5K from another company at a time of my life and there's a form to fill in that goes to RA, no form, you're on your own.

In other words, $450 is too dear for a Core 2 Duo ;)

Since it's covered by FleaBay's money back guarantee if it isn't really full of properly licensed software then you would get a full refund.

And he only has 3 bad feedback's in the last year out of 327 - so MAYBE? (but not MY 450)

I didn’t see where it mentioned that all this comes with a license. I can download all that on a laptop, but without a license it will only operate during the grace period.

Hmm, I've got a D400 in a cabinet that seems to be of the same vintage, although it's neither Win10 nor 64-bit. I would think in this industry that the COM port alone might make it worth at least a quarter of that price.

Is the R-A license transferable? Or if not but Studio works, then who cares? Of course, at that age who knows how long the drive will last, so if the drive goes south, then is there any way to re-license?

I remember one person on this forum claiming that the bought an eBay laptop with legitimate transferred licenses, but I think I called them something rude and they vanished.

I've never seen one of these that even appeared legitimate. The linked one takes some unimpressive steps to mis-spell keywords.

What I *have* seen was a couple of guys in Indiana get lengthy Federal prison sentences for selling such laptops.

I didn’t see where it mentioned that all this comes with a license. I can download all that on a laptop, but without a license it will only operate during the grace period.

xxx.png

They could be fudging about the meaning of "fully licensed," but it would not be hard to ask for an image of working software.

The pictures show a page of floating/unlimited simatic licenses (no TIA), but that could all be other than genuine since it appears to be the same images for two auctions. No pictures of any R-A software.

Still, 4GB RAM and 512GB SSD; someone has been trying to keep this thing going.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are ways of pirating rockwell/siemens software and publishing them on Ebay. Just as an academic statement, cracked software should be able to work. The ethicality of this is definitely questionable, but just like any other piece of downloadable software, it can possibly be cracked and used. This forum does not condone piracy, and with good measure. Having automation software pirated with malicious intent can have very real consequences. Imagine if a Studio5k safety routine appends a simple counter without showing it in the ladder window, which disables the EStop features after 100 counts(Enough for runoffs). There would be no accountability. We have people's lives in our control through the machines we program, even though piracy might be a cheaper cop out for individuals, it's not the way to go.

I was invited to an industrial automation security seminar hosted by a university professor, and one of the things that might soon come to our industry is traceable supply chain where even end point devices(Even sensors) have vetted and regularly audited people who make and deliver them as a measure for better national infrastructure security. The idea of non-vetted programming devices seems very contradictory to this thought process.

The description down the page says HMI & PLC software fully licensed and activated.

The S5K licenses would have to be FTAM and those are easily rehosted if they are valid. If Siemens ALM shows good when all are checked they can be moved to another drive also.

But - that is a lot of software on a 512G SSD. My smallest HD or SSD is 1T and they are all over 512G used. This desktops 2T C: drive is 800G full and there are no data files on C:, they are on a 4T second drive.

Still - not MY $450

The description down the page says HMI & PLC software fully licensed and activated.

That is almost certainly a lie.

If one of you purchases this laptop and I can verify that the activations are transferrable and not temporary, Toolkit, or pirated, I will eat my shoe.

On YouTube, live. A Brooks Trace, size 12. With laces.

If you buy one of these laptops and it does come with activated software, you WILL have to do the following to transfer the license to you.

1. get the name and email address of the person selling the laptop and software to you.
2. Contact rockwell automation and request a transfer of ownership form or give rockwell the information and tell them where to send the form.
3. rockwell will send them the form.
4. if this is a legit purchase , the person you bought the system from will fill out the form and send it to you or back to rockwell.
5. you will then be notified that the license has been transferred to you.

IF the seller does NOT fill out the form, you are out of luck, BUT rockwell would be very interested on the details of where you bought the system and will go after them.

I had to do the procedure mentioned above for an oem who did a system for me at a plant. this was a legit purchase and he filled out the form for me so i could upgrade the software.
james