Using FactoryTalk View SE for data logging

blackdiamonz

[FONT=&quot]I am having the problem of setting up the data logging. I need to set up the logging in a .csv format using an OBDC database to eventually be read by excel. I am trying to have factory talk set up the tables automatically but for some reason it won’t do it and it looks like I have to do it manually. I am not quite sure how to do it manually. Am I supposed to go into excel and create column headers for OBDC float and string tables and just save it as a .csv file? According to the user's guide the format for the ODBC float and string tables are: DateAndTime, Millitm, TagIndex, Val, Status, Marker. I have tried to use theses as column headers and I get an error message in FactoryTalk Data Log Models editor that states columns 1, 2, & 4 for my table are invalid. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.
[/FONT]

Yes I have I have set up an ODBC database as a Microsoft Text Driver (*txt,*csv). I then have gone into Microsoft Excel to create the table manually and I then save it as a .csv file.

OK. I've never setup an ODBC to Excel. It was either Access or SQL Server. I'll have to try it out.

Thank you for your help. I had to set up an ODBC database and now I have the correct data in the database. Since the data logging model uses the ODBC format, data is added continually to the same database. Is there a way to create a new database or file every time I want to log data?

How did you do it?

Hi blackdiamonz,
I found this thread trying to solve the same problem - logging from FTView to Excel. Do you remember how you made it work? Did you create three CSV files (TagTable, FloatTable, StringTable)?
Thanks

I am also interested if anybody knows how to get trend data from Factory Talk SE to CSV format. The datalogs are currently using the binary file format, which I chose because it works reasonably well on wonderware and citect. If I have to set up a new datalog with ODBC that would be fine. I am also considering using Archie's advanced HMI driver to simply read the values directly from the PLC and write them to a CSV file myself.

Apart from using ODBC for the datalog datastore driver I have found that creating a snapshot by right clicking on the trend plot area (SE) will save the data in .dbf format to the project's trend directory, which can then be opened in excel or open office calc.

There are no tag names in the column headings, they appear to be the addresses, but the data is there so it is workable.

I don't have any zeroes in my data as rdrast alludes to here: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=55994

maybe his data is logging onchange, all mine is periodic.