Modicon 984 Software and Cable

rohan tandon

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have to upload and modify the program from a Modicon E984-265 CPU. I have never worked with modicon PLC before and have been looking around for information on what tools i would need.

From what i could gather:
Communications cable is an RS-232 serial cable (DB9 to RJ45).
Software required is proworx nxt or proworx32.

I will be provided with proworx nxt, will it work with windows XP? DOes anybody have the cable wiring diagram or the part no. of the cable to be purchased.

Appreciate any information on the subject...

In my experience sometimes NXT will work in Win XP and sometimes it won't. One one PC I have it runs fine. On another it won't. NXT runs well under Windows 2000. SLC_Integrator says he runs it on a Win 2K virtual machine under Win XP without any problems.

The cable is a standard RS-232 cable.
2<---------------->3
3<---------------->2
5<---------------->5

Last edited:
As Alaric says, I run NxT on a virtual machine running windows 2000 rather than on the actual laptop OS.

I got fed up of Nxt when installed on XP working for a week or two then refusing to start up.
I've used this virtual machine setup for online edits at customers sites with absolutely no issues whatsoever and would reccommend it.